https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/4642-what_do_i_need_to_set_up_in_order_to_get_paid.html

What do I need to set up in order to get paid?
Thread poster: Stephanie M.
Stephanie M.
Stephanie M.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
English to German
Aug 20, 2002

I am wondering how people are getting paid?

Do you set up a certain bank account? If so, what kind? Do people send you checks?

I am living in the United States.

Thank you for your help.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:04
German to English
+ ...
Cruizer, Aug 24, 2002

You say you\'re in the United States. If you work for US clients, you will most likely be paid by check. Wire transfers are generally not used at our level/in our profession - meaning for \"relatively\" small amounts of money (compared to large corporations.) Doing business with overseas clients is a different story (see Tayfun\'s comments.)

Of course you need a bank account, primarily a checking account. You can also add a savings account if you have more money than you nee
... See more
You say you\'re in the United States. If you work for US clients, you will most likely be paid by check. Wire transfers are generally not used at our level/in our profession - meaning for \"relatively\" small amounts of money (compared to large corporations.) Doing business with overseas clients is a different story (see Tayfun\'s comments.)

Of course you need a bank account, primarily a checking account. You can also add a savings account if you have more money than you need to keep in your checking account, and may even get a percent or so in interest on your savings account ) Check with several banks for the best terms, e.g. how much you have to keep in your account to avoid monthly maintenance fees, check fees,

etc.

There may be other threads in these forums dealing with this subject. You may want to search around a bit.

HTH,

Trudy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do I need to set up in order to get paid?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »