Mobile menu

How to charge for WinAlign work?
Thread poster: LisaNovos
LisaNovos
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 5, 2002

I have a client who would like to convert two Word docs (target and source) into a translation memory for Trados. It is done in WinAlign. The job is extremely large (each file has several thousand pages) but not very complicated (no format based alignment involved, only end-of-paragraph). Nevertheless, I will have to check every segment manually in the WinAlign editor after the alignment is done to insure the highest possible quality of the translation memory. I have done it before for myself, but never for a client.

My question is how and what I should charger for this job: per hour? per word? if per word - per target or per source?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:24
German to English
+ ...
You have the choice - if your customer agrees Sep 6, 2002

I think all options are valid.

Your choice is dictated by your personal preference. Do like to sit back and work in a relaxed manner, then the hourly rate would probably best. Are you able to concentrate well and churn through hundreds of items per hour, and you want to earn more, then you can calculate by item.

Of course it also depends on what your client is willing to agree to.

LisaNovos
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Has anybody done this sort of work? Sep 6, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-06 02:24, JE-Access wrote:

I think all options are valid.

Your choice is dictated by your personal preference. Do like to sit back and work in a relaxed manner, then the hourly rate would probably best. Are you able to concentrate well and churn through hundreds of items per hour, and you want to earn more, then you can calculate by item.

Of course it also depends on what your client is willing to agree to.

Let me rephrase the question: what is more customary? How much per hour would those of you charge, who actually have done this sort of work? How much per word? Thanks!!!

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:24
Member (2004)
German to English
Per hour Sep 6, 2002

I charge per hour for this kind of work just because it\'s easier for me. You don\'t produce source or target text yourself and depending on the files they give you it can take forever to get it right.

xxxmmachado
English to Portuguese
Charge by the hour - approximately 2000 words of source text per hour Sep 6, 2002

Hello,

I have done this in a couple of occasions. I usually charge by the hour but to give the client a rough idea on costs, I calculate the allignment of 2000 source words per hour. Just a bit more than on proofreading (1800 per hour) as this way I can pay adequate attention to the sentences we are putting in the memory. It will save proofreaders some time later on as well. If you require further info, please feel free to contact me directly.

Hope this helps

Best regards,

Mónica Machado

LisaNovos
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!! Sep 6, 2002

Thanks to all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for WinAlign work?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs