Thread poster: Elizabeth Adams

Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:43
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2002

Hello there,

An agency just asked me to send them scanned copies of my diplomas and transcripts. They indicated that I could white out the grades on the transcripts (what\'s the point, then?). And they haven\'t asked for any of my professional references.

This sounded weird to me. Does anyone have any reactions to this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Roberto Cavalcanti  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
It smells to falsification Oct 16, 2002

This subject is usually seen on crime section of newspapers.

Can you declare the name of the agency? Have seen if they aren\'t in the blue board?

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:43
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Don't do it... Oct 16, 2002

I have never heard of such a request and I don\'t think that it\'s a very good idea without some garantees. Investigate first, then decide whether or not it\'s a trustworthy agency. Is it on the Blueboard?

Kind regards,

John Kinory
Local time: 13:43
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Odd doesn't even begin to describe it :-) Oct 16, 2002

White out the grades on the transcripts?? Now I know what the phrase \'bizarre city\' means (or \'bonkers\' in BE!). Don\'t do it - in fact, I\'d say don\'t work with them. It smells.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I would not do it either... Oct 16, 2002

Be very careful... I would not comply to their request either.

Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
hmmm... Oct 16, 2002

They\'re not on the Blue Board, so no help there. I\'ve placed a query at Transpayment, though. Maybe someone there has an idea.

Ariadna Castillo González  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:43
English to Catalan
+ ...
Careful! Oct 16, 2002

I wouldn´t send anything to them without finding out a bit more about the agency first.

I´m wondering if the \"whiting out\" of YOUR name is a task that they are going to carry out themselves Not to sound too fishy! In my opinion this is ridiculous.

Good luck!

Tatiana Neroni
English to Russian
+ ...
The purpose of it is very clear. Oct 16, 2002

They do not need your grades because they do not need you and your services.

All they need is your diploma and transcripts - as a blank, to do whatever they want with it, possibly, sell diplomas after inserting other people\'s names etc.

I would decline to provide such things.

You see, if you provide a black-and-white copy (not notarized), there is hope that it will not be used this way.

When it is scanned - it shows all the colors and details save for water signs, so it\'s very true to life and \"marketable\".

Very interesting. If you know the country of origin of this agency, I would report it to the necessary authorities dealing with Internet fraud. You stopped short of sending it and asked your colleagues about it, somebody else can fall victim...

Be safe.

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I had a similar request recently Oct 16, 2002

...without this \"whiting out\", though, so this might be a completely different story. Their argumentation was that this is a usual request from their customers (=gov. institutions). I didn\'t send anything because that particular job they contacted me about was already gone, but I am happy you raised this issue.

There is no rating information about \'my\' agency on the Blue Board and their profile is practically empty (but they contacted me through the mail).

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Similar, but different, story Oct 16, 2002

When I applied for the job I currently hold (software engineer at a defense contractor), they wanted me to bring in the ORIGINALS of my diplomas. They photocopied them and put them in my personnel file. I received the originals back right away.

I had NO problem with them doing this. I had claimed to graduate from the institutions to get the job, they were just doing a simple reference check.

That being said, I would have no problem PHOTOCOPYING my diplomas to ship off to an agency (notice, I did NOT say \'scanning\'). This was usual in Germany 25 years ago when applying for a job. Besides the resume,you sent copies of every paper you had.

If they meant photocopy, go ahead, send it to them. No color, no harm.

If they meant scan, then I, too, would be careful.

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 08:43
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, sometimes we do have to ask translator for their diplomas Oct 17, 2002

and I am speaking here as an agency. It is usually required for large government contracts, during the bid process in which you have to prove that the firm has the capability in house and can count on freelance translators with the qualifications and so many years experience to do the job.

But we would never ask anybody to white out anything. That would defeat the purpose.

paola l m

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to German
Funny Oct 17, 2002

IF these people are up to no good, I find it really funny that they should combine their request (which would be nothing unusual in itself) with the offer of deleting your grades.

Without this you might have been a lot less suspicious and you might just have sent them the copies without any further questions. So they in fact diminished their chances to lay their hands on your papers.

So IF they are crooks, they have made a pretty bad start . I usually trust crooks to be somewhat more cunning than that - so maybe they are honest about it after all, although their lack of interest in grades is unusual.

Ask them a few questions and see what they have to tell you - con artists usually don\'t take the time to make conversation if their trick doesn\'t work right away.

If the answers seem all right, I\'d send them any fax-quality scans they want. After all, if we don\'t want to show our credentials, what have we got them for?

Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Picaresque... Oct 17, 2002

Be careful!

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Faxes Oct 17, 2002

For a legit agency, a faxed copy or a photocopy would do. To ask the degrees scanned, and on top of it, whiting out the grades, well, they could not sound fishier if they tried.

About what Endre says, that this is too idiotic a request to be crooked, well, maybe they are idiot crooks. They exist, you know.

I would not bother with these people; I think the risk is too high.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Odd request from agency:scanned copies of diplomas and transcripts

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs