Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Creativity is not at odds with consistency Oct 21, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-19 16:48, dinnye wrote:

However, if you translate non-repetitive, creative texts, where the same term can (and probably will) require a different translation each time, where exactly does consistency come in? I thought one of the main things about creativity was to avoid repetitions, ...

I would have to say that 95%, no make that 99.9% of the work I do is creative and yet dem... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-19 16:48, dinnye wrote:

However, if you translate non-repetitive, creative texts, where the same term can (and probably will) require a different translation each time, where exactly does consistency come in? I thought one of the main things about creativity was to avoid repetitions, ...

I would have to say that 95%, no make that 99.9% of the work I do is creative and yet demands consistency, too. Take research articles in economics as one example (guess what my current translation-in-progress is about). Most of the writers I translate express themselves in a creative, literary way. Yet when it comes to terminology, neither they nor I can afford to be creative; accurate, unvarying terminology use is essential.

Quote:

Anyway: I agree that terminology tools are indeed fine implements to improve consistency wherever it is needed. But they are no more than obliging glossaries that look up words for you before you do it yourself. .... and I will be surprised if electronic dictionaries won\'t include the same functions in less than five years\' time (I think they are beginning to do so already).

\"No more than obliging glossaries that look up words for you before you do it yourself\" does sum it up, but I would not use this as an argument to dismiss their worth; I find exactly this an extremely valuable time-saving and accuracy-promoting function. And I would add that it is more than just words; the additional ability to include multi-word terms, phrases and sentences increases their value far beyond that of any dictionary.

Quote:

Maybe that\'s why these modules are often distributed for free by the very manufacturers who usually attach quite hefty price tags to their TM packages.

One of the many things that Deja Vu fans appreciate about the program and the Atril company. DV doesn\'t use this marketing \"technique\". ▲ Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:27
French to English
Belated reply Oct 22, 2002

Quote:

However, if you translate non-repetitive, creative texts, where the same term can (and probably will) require a different translation each time, where exactly does consistency come in? I thought one of the main things about creativity was to avoid repetitions, to take a holistic approach instead of just muddling through term by term (which is what DejaVu\'s terminology function helps me to do in my technical translations).

<... See more
Quote:

However, if you translate non-repetitive, creative texts, where the same term can (and probably will) require a different translation each time, where exactly does consistency come in? I thought one of the main things about creativity was to avoid repetitions, to take a holistic approach instead of just muddling through term by term (which is what DejaVu\'s terminology function helps me to do in my technical translations).

There has to be consistency even in more creative texts. I translate tourism articles on a regular basis (have been for a few years now) and DV helps me by automatically inserting the names of events, museums, etc. Before, I had to look it up every time (if I couldn\'t remember the name).

It also helps remind me how I\'ve translated a certain sentence before (especially if the article is by the same author). That way, I can use something different.

Although I don\'t translate technical texts, the ones I do get often have terms or names repeated throughout and that\'s where DV\'s functions come in. It\'s a tool that really helps me manage consistent terminology.

FWIW

Erika

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sliding rate scales for CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »