Mobile menu

Can anyone help me over here?
Thread poster: Momichi

Local time: 07:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2002

Hey guys!

Thank you four your helping spirit in checking this forum. I have a couple of questions about some things that have been coming up in my search in the web for new jobs.

First, I have seen and heard a lot about the Paypal system. I understand some of you may be acquainted with it. I live in Mexico and I wonder if I can open an account from here and if I can, is it something that I really need? I mean, I have worked for U.S. employers and they have duly paid me via paycheck, but they have always asked first if I had a Paypal account. Then again, these jobs are not that frequent (four times this year). But I\'ve been becoming more and more curious and I finally thought of asking you guys about any information, good or bad, you may have in this subject.

Now my second question is more of a survey:

Has any of you ever heard of a place called I received an e-mail from this company claiming they were hiring ad typists for web sites. Now well, I am a translator, but I have also worked as a typist and you know, an extra income never hurts. Besides, I have just finished a very big job and I\'m kind of facing there will not be any Christmas bonus. So yes, I\'m interested.

Well this company claims you can earn a decent amount of money by typing ads for various products they sponsor in different websites. You type the ad, and then for every person that clicks on the ad you earn a commission which increases as the user keeps asking for information. Theoretically every time the person asks for more information you earn a minimum of US$.50. Of course if they buy the product you get an additional and larger commision.

The only setback is that they ask for a starting fee of US$60.00. You must pay it BEFORE you start working, and they claim it\'s an initial, one time only fee (swear by their mothers they won\'t ever ask you for more money). Now, I\'m not very acquainted with US scamming techniques, but in my country if someone asks you for money before being hired, that\'s a big no-no.

I guess I just to know what you think, check the page out if you want, I read it all and I found no loopholes (not that I saw, anyway): you must pay an initial fee, yea, but they commit themselves not to ask you for any extra money, they guarantee you will have work, and they describe to some length the amount and requirements for the commisions.

Thank you for your kindness and patience in reading this (I know I have a severe case of verborrhea), I will be expecting your advice and I promise to take them into account.

Have a great day today, look at the sky.

Direct link Reply with quote

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:09
German to English
+ ...
Hi Momichi, Nov 22, 2002

Your instinct is right! Anybody who asks for money before giving you any work is running a scam.

Besides, how would you know how many people clicked on the ad???

My advice is NO!!

Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:09
Russian to English
+ ...
100% scam Nov 22, 2002

Try to ignore offers like that in the future!

My only suggestion is to call around different law offices - they usually have lots of typing work available, and sometimes they need translations, too!

xxxPaul Roige
Local time: 14:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a cent! Nov 22, 2002

Otherwise, they\'ll be laughing at you all the way to some Nigerian bank.

Jeez, they\'re everywhere these clever sods...

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:09
English to German
+ ...
About PayPal Nov 22, 2002

at first: this paidresponse thing sounds like scam - I WOULDN\'T do it.

Now, to answer you question about PayPal.

What makes PayPal unique is the fact that your customer can pay you by credit card, and you don\'t have to check the validity of the card yourself or debit the credit card account yourself. PayPal does this for you.

How does it work?

Usually anyone can open an account with PayPal by simply entering his credit card details (so you are required to have a credit card). They first validate your credit card by charging a small fee on your credit card. Along with this you receive a 4 digit code on your account statement, which you have to enter at PayPal. The fee they charged you will not be lost: it will be stored in your PayPal account for future payments. (And you should be able to withdraw it back to your bank account; at least, I believe you can.)

How you are being paid?

Well, the client sends you money via PayPal, which means that he authorizes PayPal to charge his credit card with a certain amount of money. PayPal does so and sends you an confirmation email. The money is actually being credited immediately to your PayPal account, which means you should be able to withdraw it from there to your actual bank account. (It never occured to me that someone had his credit card account overdraft, so I don\'t know what would happen if PayPal could not charge the client\'s account. Maybe that\'s a point one should consider; PayPal does not guarantee you REALLY get the money.)

Also, it seems to be quite difficult to get money back once you paid someone by PayPal. However, this seems to be a problem for the one who pays, i.e. for the client, not for you, since you\'re the one who receives the money. Once you have it, it\'s yours.

In short: PayPal is just an organization that makes international payments by credit card easier, for both parties.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-22 08:17 ]

lcmolinari  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dont' mess with a good thing Nov 22, 2002

If you already receive your payments from your US customers via check and have no problems, don\'t look for other solutions!

Paypal is great for many things, for instance I live in Canada and it enables me to receive payments from Central American clients who don\'t have access to US funds accounts. Therefore, they pay me in their currency, but I get it in mine. However, a percentage is lost along the way in currency conversion and of course the fee to deposit it to my account.

Paypal is also most advantageous to US customers as there are less restrictions and less fees for transactions. In Mexico, you can certainly have a Paypal account and use money in that account to pay for other things, but I don\'t know if you would be able to transfer that $ to your bank account in Mexico, and if you can, you will have to pay a percentage.

In short, stick with the checks.

Nitza Ramos  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
BBB Nov 22, 2002

Momichi, regarding your question about the company on the Internet called, maybe you can try the Better Business Bureau Web site. Click on the icon \"Check out a Company\" and they might be able to help you with information.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone help me over here?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs