https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/689-agency_got_offended_when_i_sent_my_contract.html

agency got offended when I sent my contract
Thread poster: Annette Aryanpour
Annette Aryanpour
Annette Aryanpour
United States
Local time: 19:58
German to English
Nov 30, 2001

I am not new to translations, but I\'m new to dealing with agencies. I just finished a job for an agency. Before I started the translation, I sent the client my terms & conditions, which caused her to react a little sour \"it is not up to the translator to send the agency a contract, but for the agency to send the translator a contract.\" (original wording) Since this is my first job that I got on-line, I decided to sign their contract which does not specifiy when payment is due or any late paym... See more
I am not new to translations, but I\'m new to dealing with agencies. I just finished a job for an agency. Before I started the translation, I sent the client my terms & conditions, which caused her to react a little sour \"it is not up to the translator to send the agency a contract, but for the agency to send the translator a contract.\" (original wording) Since this is my first job that I got on-line, I decided to sign their contract which does not specifiy when payment is due or any late payment charges. What advice do you give someone who wants to build a client base?

Suzan Chin
Suzan Chin
United States
Local time: 22:58
Hebrew to English
+ ...
No contracts Nov 30, 2001

Hello Annette,

It\'s true that sending a contract to an agency it is an uncommon thing to do. I personally never did that even though it was tempting since many agencies tend to pay very late. What I do is send an invoice as soon as I finish a project and at the end of the invoice I type something like \"Payment terms: Net 30\" in large enough/bold letters. However, I still end up having to remind agencies to send payment two months later. ...
See more
Hello Annette,

It\'s true that sending a contract to an agency it is an uncommon thing to do. I personally never did that even though it was tempting since many agencies tend to pay very late. What I do is send an invoice as soon as I finish a project and at the end of the invoice I type something like \"Payment terms: Net 30\" in large enough/bold letters. However, I still end up having to remind agencies to send payment two months later.

Suzan
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 22:58
German to English
+ ...
Reply to Annette Nov 30, 2001

I am sorry to hear about your trouble.

But consider this:

The agency is the buyer, and we are the seller. And it is usually the seller who dictates the terms and conditions of doing business: everyone operates like that. You go into a store and you will be subject to the respective store policy (e.g., in terms of refunds, returning merchandise, warranty, etc.). If you don\'t like a store\'s policy, you are free to go somewhere else.

<
... See more
I am sorry to hear about your trouble.

But consider this:

The agency is the buyer, and we are the seller. And it is usually the seller who dictates the terms and conditions of doing business: everyone operates like that. You go into a store and you will be subject to the respective store policy (e.g., in terms of refunds, returning merchandise, warranty, etc.). If you don\'t like a store\'s policy, you are free to go somewhere else.

Of course, if the agency (as the buyer of your services) already has a contract, and if that contract is agreeable, you may sign it, instead of drafting your own.

In your case, Annette, I must say that the agency sounds like a \"bad apple\": if they leave out any provisions on the terms of payment, it means that they are trying to keep all their options open (and that includes default on payment!).

Collapse

ChristinaT
ChristinaT
Local time: 04:58
English to German
+ ...
I have experienced that before, too Nov 30, 2001

... but that hasn\'t kept me from sending out my contract before starting a job. I personally have experienced that twice, but I do know there are agencies out there, that have no problem at all in taking a couple minutes to fill out my contract. Besides the fact that I only send out my contract once to the agency, and the terms and conditions (payment terms, and everything else except for due date and actual pricing for the project) do stay the same for every following project I do for that age... See more
... but that hasn\'t kept me from sending out my contract before starting a job. I personally have experienced that twice, but I do know there are agencies out there, that have no problem at all in taking a couple minutes to fill out my contract. Besides the fact that I only send out my contract once to the agency, and the terms and conditions (payment terms, and everything else except for due date and actual pricing for the project) do stay the same for every following project I do for that agency. Till today, although I am fairly new to working full-time as a translator, I haven\'t had any problems with these agencies (sure hope it stays that way!).

In other words, an agency that is not willing to clearly state their terms and conditions nor is willing to accept yours, is probably not a good source of anything, be it work/projects or getting paid.

I would also agree that this behaviour (from the agency) leads me to thinking that it is a

\"bad apple\" , which is, in the end, what actually kept me from taking on these two projects. What\'s wrong with stating the facts as to terms and conditions prior to starting a job? I find this a reasonable way to secure ourselves. Of course, if the agency sends you a contract and it is ok, then I see nothing wrong with signing the agencies contract. As long as YOU agree with the terms and conditions. If you\'re willing to work for someone who does not say when and how you will be paid - go ahead. I am not.

Collapse

Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Contracts Dec 1, 2001

hi, it is true that normally it is the agency which0 sends the contract but for example here in Italy you are supposed to send in advance a letter with your conditions (it\'s called \"notula\") this document exists in case the customer doesn\'t pay and you need something to rely upon.

Having said that, a contract which is a contract should quote the amount of words and the total amount of the job, together with the delivery date and the date of payment.

Good luck

Ba
... See more
hi, it is true that normally it is the agency which0 sends the contract but for example here in Italy you are supposed to send in advance a letter with your conditions (it\'s called \"notula\") this document exists in case the customer doesn\'t pay and you need something to rely upon.

Having said that, a contract which is a contract should quote the amount of words and the total amount of the job, together with the delivery date and the date of payment.

Good luck

Barbara

Quote:

On 2001-11-30 08:37, pari wrote:

I am not new to translations, but I\'m new to dealing with agencies. I just finished a job for an agency. Before I started the translation, I sent the client my terms & conditions, which caused her to react a little sour \"it is not up to the translator to send the agency a contract, but for the agency to send the translator a contract.\" (original wording) Since this is my first job that I got on-line, I decided to sign their contract which does not specifiy when payment is due or any late payment charges. What advice do you give someone who wants to build a client base?

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

agency got offended when I sent my contract

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »