Invaluble tips and tools for 2003
Thread poster: Dave Greatrix

Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2003

Many members may be already familiar with the following tips and tools, however those of you who are not will wonder how you ever managed without them.

1. Get a broadband connection (ADSL) ASAP, the extra expense is worth it, if only for the time it saves.

2. Download the Kazaa Media Desk top at any number of sites. There are a number of versions, Kazaa Lite, Diet Kazaa, that allow you to download software, music, movies, etc. all for free. (for the site selection perform a Google search for \"Kazaa\")

3. Download PC Booster (from Kazaa). This is a utility that will optimise your PC settings fully automatically (idiot proof)

4. Download Diskeeper from Kazaa. This utility from Executive Software monitors your hard disk, and has a \"set and forget\" function that will defragment your hard drive on a daily basis, without you even being aware of it. (A fragmented drive is a common cause of poor pc performance)

5. Download Xanadu from the Foreignword website, a translators tool that enables the user to simply click on a word, and be automatically transferred to a number of reference sites, including Eurodicautom.

6. Download Superbot - a utility that will enable the user to fully automatically download entire web sites for offline viewing.

7. Check out Wordnet, and incredible online dictionary, supplying all manner of info.

8. Click on \"start\" \"run\" and type in \"msconfig\" then \"OK\". Now clck on the \"startup\" tab and uncheck all of the applications that you hardly ever use (you may be suprised how many they are) When you restart, these applications will remain \"dormant\" until you \"wake them up\". This will save your system resources, which will in turn improve PC performance.

That will do for now, and I\'m sorry if I have bored the PC whizz kids, but the above is only obvious when you know about it.

Could I suggest that anyone out there with similar tips or tools let them be known in this forum. Remember, we are all in the same boat.

Happy New Year.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie Wilcock  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
German
+ ...
Invaluable tips and tools for 2003 Jan 6, 2003

Fancied a go at #8.

But failed as my PC seemed unable to detect the msconfig file. Just bought this PC recently and am quite happy with its performance - as yet. Any idea why I can\'t find the file (other than the fact that it simply could have been deleted)?

Thanks for the other tips and happy 2003.

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Thanks! Jan 6, 2003

This is ProZ.com networking!

United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mats Jan 6, 2003

Mats has just reminded me by E mail, about the rumours surrounding Kazaa with respect to viruses. All I can say is that Kazaa is used by millions, sharing millions of file, so anything is possible. However, I have been using Kazaa for around three years now, and the worst that has happened to me is, I downloaded \"Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets\" (yes, I am sad) only to find that when I played it back, it was Scary Movie 2. Still it was a cracking laugh, especially the parody on the Exorcist with James Woods in a comedy role playing the Priest.

Which reminds me....

9. Download AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus-system from their website at:

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm?session=6585761bcbf3fbb810a2ba26679c01c0

I use it, as do dozens of my mates. It\'s also free, and you are given regular automatic free updates.

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks a lot Jan 6, 2003

I\'ve just downloaded Xanadu and it\'s great - apart from al the popups - and bound to save a lot of time.

Thanks for your help, and if you have any other tips, please let us know.

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
As a non-whiz kid, thank you ... Jan 6, 2003

... for this post and happy new year.

Terry

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Get rid of Outlook Jan 6, 2003

Thanks David,

there are people who keep their tricks secret, and there are people who share them...

My own trick is to use Pegasus for mail on Windows (www.pmail.gen.nz/): it is technically superior, free and not aimed at by viruses programmers.

I also use Tiscali (www.tiscali.fr) because of the receiving fax feature. I receive faxes in .tiff format, which is cleaner than paper at home, without degradation of graphic quality from the sender\'s version, and I can focus on unclear text.

That\'s all for today.

United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
msconfig Jan 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-06 10:59, Natalie Wilcock wrote:

Fancied a go at #8.

But failed as my PC seemed unable to detect the msconfig file. Just bought this PC recently and am quite happy with its performance - as yet. Any idea why I can\'t find the file (other than the fact that it simply could have been deleted)?

msconfig is not a file, but a command.

Click on start. Click on run. Type in msconfig. Click OK. That should do it.

mora339
Local time: 19:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
msconfig (2) Jan 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-06 10:59, Natalie Wilcock wrote:

Fancied a go at #8.

Or probably your OS is Win2000. Win2000 doesn\'t have a msconfig command. There should be software available for free download that serve the same purpose (to manage start-ups).

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 12:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
XP users: careful with MP3s Jan 6, 2003

Speaking of Kazaa and MP3s, Microsoft recently announced there\'s a loophole in XP that allows doctored MP3 files to run software on the target computer - by software I mean a virus, a trojan horse or just a bomb. So get the patch from Microsoft pronto.

I\'m using good old 98 so I don\'t care...

About Kazaa: I don\'t use it because of the \'spyware\' aspect. Of course you can opt out but I\'m just the cautious kind.

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 12:25
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
What are Kazaa and similar file-sharing progs for? Jan 6, 2003

Thank you David, for your really invaluable tips and tools.

Quote 1: \"Download the Kazaa Media Desk that allow you to download software, music, movies, etc. all for free.\"

Quote 2: \"About Kazaa: I don\'t use it because of the \'spyware\' aspect.\"

There\'s a good alternative to Kazaa: WinMX. It respects your privacy and doesn\'t contain spyware. You can find it here: http://download.com.com/3000-2166-10165358.html?tag=lst-0-1

But I can\'t understand in general what is so good about these file-sharing progs? I\'ve heard that they are very good for MP3 files downloading. If I\'m not interested in MP3 canned music how can I use file-sharing progs? What is their value for translators? For downloading software? But why can\'t I simply find a free programme using a search engine and download it? Could any of the PC whizz kids explain it?

Thanx in advance,

Nikita Kobrin

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
downloads Jan 7, 2003

\"But I can\'t understand in general what is so good about these file-sharing progs? I\'ve heard that they are very good for MP3 files downloading. If I\'m not interested in MP3 canned music how can I use file-sharing progs? What is their value for translators? For downloading software? But why can\'t I simply find a free programme using a search engine and download it? Could any of the PC whizz kids explain it? \"

Thanx in advance,

Nikita Kobrin

You can also download videos, films, games.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
If it sounds too good to be true... Jan 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-07 02:58, lien wrote:

You can also download videos, films, games.

As in copyrighted material?

Is that legal?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
As in copyrighted material? .... Jan 7, 2003

\"Is it legal?\"

Not really.

Giovanni

Natalie Wilcock  Identity Verified
German
+ ...
msconfig Jan 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-06 16:16, mora339 wrote:

[

Or probably your OS is Win2000. Win2000 doesn\'t have a msconfig command. There should be software available for free download that serve the same purpose (to manage start-ups).

That must be it. I did what I was supposed to and got: \"Cannot find msconfig file (or one of its components). Make sure the path and file name are correct and that all libraries are available.\"

Thanks for the input.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invaluble tips and tools for 2003

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs