https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/8129-networking_with_other_freelancers_any_experiences_what_do_you_think_about_the_business_aspects_of.html

Networking with other freelancers - any experiences? What do you think about the business aspects of
Thread poster: Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:47
English to German
+ ...
Jan 30, 2003

Being a freelance translator can be quite a challenge, doing \"everything\" on your own. On the other hand you miss the benefits of team work. Since I have no experience networking with other translators, I am just curious, what do you think about networking. Especially when you did or do networking, did it work? If it did not work, why was it so? Which advice would you give to a group of translators, which wants to start networking? Obviously these questions are not about networking regarding m... See more
Being a freelance translator can be quite a challenge, doing \"everything\" on your own. On the other hand you miss the benefits of team work. Since I have no experience networking with other translators, I am just curious, what do you think about networking. Especially when you did or do networking, did it work? If it did not work, why was it so? Which advice would you give to a group of translators, which wants to start networking? Obviously these questions are not about networking regarding mutual help, I am thinking more about the business aspects of networking? How does it work when money is involved? (The previous version of my posting was not quite clear, I apologize.)

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-30 17:26]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The only way forward Jan 30, 2003

I strongly believe networking to be the answer to quite a number of challenges facing freelance translators, particularly competitive ones.

Obviously, the possibilities are endless - what I can offer is some of my own experience.

I have been working with a network of freelance professionals for more than six years now; increasingly, my role has shifted from translating to marketing, project management and business development.

Our \"
... See more
I strongly believe networking to be the answer to quite a number of challenges facing freelance translators, particularly competitive ones.

Obviously, the possibilities are endless - what I can offer is some of my own experience.

I have been working with a network of freelance professionals for more than six years now; increasingly, my role has shifted from translating to marketing, project management and business development.

Our \"web\" stretches from Asia/Pacific through to North America, and is built on a proprietary Internet platform that is accessible to team members only. Currently, this is used to exchange files, but will shortly be expanded to facilitate availability checks and resource bookings.

Given the joint expertise available, we have tackled some impressive projects - what\'s best about it is that the efficiency of the setup yields strong benefits for all involved (sorry I can\'t be more specific here... ).

HTH - best of luck, Ralf
Collapse

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
networking Jan 30, 2003

I have also been setting up a network for one of my language pair. I do believe that the key is to know very well the translators you are going to work with so as to avoid misunderstandings and such things. Having different types of skills in the network is also an asset, for instance I am the web guru (also translating), another is more Projetct Management oriented, another is always there for technical issues, etc so you can achieve more things together than alone.

My 2 ce
... See more
I have also been setting up a network for one of my language pair. I do believe that the key is to know very well the translators you are going to work with so as to avoid misunderstandings and such things. Having different types of skills in the network is also an asset, for instance I am the web guru (also translating), another is more Projetct Management oriented, another is always there for technical issues, etc so you can achieve more things together than alone.

My 2 cents
Collapse

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you both Feb 3, 2003

Since I am a bit sceptical, I am happy to read about your positive experiences.

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another positive experience Feb 4, 2003

I have been networking with a small group of freelancers like myself. Not setting up an agency or anything like that, just people with whom to share projects. Depending on the project one will have to deal with the customer, another one distribute work and control turnaround, etc. As for money, one of us invoices the customer (usually the one that took up the largest part of the job) and the others send their invoices to him or her.

The key is to have the right persons doing
... See more
I have been networking with a small group of freelancers like myself. Not setting up an agency or anything like that, just people with whom to share projects. Depending on the project one will have to deal with the customer, another one distribute work and control turnaround, etc. As for money, one of us invoices the customer (usually the one that took up the largest part of the job) and the others send their invoices to him or her.

The key is to have the right persons doing the right job, but in a friendly ambiance where communication is effective, that has not been a problem so far.

HTH.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Networking with other freelancers - any experiences? What do you think about the business aspects of

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »