Professional translators organisations - which one to choose?
Thread poster: HRiley
HRiley
HRiley  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2003

Hello,

I am thinking about joining one of the various professional organisations for translators (ITI, SFT...), but am really not sure which would be the most worthwhile.

If you could only recommend one, which would it be?

Is it best to stay \"local\" - which in my case would mean joining the SFT as I\'m based in France? Or would I be better off with ITI seeing as I\'m an EMT translator? I have an MSc in translation, so I haven\'t really consi
... See more
Hello,

I am thinking about joining one of the various professional organisations for translators (ITI, SFT...), but am really not sure which would be the most worthwhile.

If you could only recommend one, which would it be?

Is it best to stay \"local\" - which in my case would mean joining the SFT as I\'m based in France? Or would I be better off with ITI seeing as I\'m an EMT translator? I have an MSc in translation, so I haven\'t really considered the IoL, but perhaps I should...

If I could afford it, I\'d join as many as possible but unfortunately that\'s not an option right now
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My opinion Jan 31, 2003

I keep asking myself the same question. I think it very much depends on your target market/s. If it\'s mainly agencies based in France, join the local organization. If it\'s Europe, I would join either IOL or ITI in the UK (I nelieve they are the most prestigious ones in Europe).

If your target is the US, join ATA and get accredited in your language pair.

HTH,

Laura

Herbert Fipke
Herbert Fipke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Always source language country orgs! Feb 3, 2003

Hi!

I would recommend to join the organization located in your source language markets (if any). As this is Spanish, I would recommend to look into Spain and Latin America for corresponding orgs.

The source language countries are the ones to bring you the customers through chambers of comerce, etc.

When your translation is finished and reaches the target country you don\'t need help of an organization any more...

Rgds

Herber
... See more
Hi!

I would recommend to join the organization located in your source language markets (if any). As this is Spanish, I would recommend to look into Spain and Latin America for corresponding orgs.

The source language countries are the ones to bring you the customers through chambers of comerce, etc.

When your translation is finished and reaches the target country you don\'t need help of an organization any more...

Rgds

Herbert
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional translators organisations - which one to choose?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »