Mobile menu

Rates for creative translation (song lyrics, etc.)
Thread poster: georg schreiner
georg schreiner
Local time: 03:12
German to English
Feb 10, 2003

I\'ve just been approached about translating song lyrics for a childrens\' television program, as well as freely adapting the dialog (including character names) to make them work better in English. While I am a bit unsure about how to charge for things such as the names, which will be used repeatedly as part of the shows \"branding\", I am at a complete loss on what kind of rate to charge for song lyrics. In addition to a basic translation, this will require sitting down with the lyricist and composer and basically rewriting the songs. does anyone out there have any experience in this field? thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 09:12
English
+ ...
Take a cheap rate Feb 10, 2003

...but get a royalties clause injected and have it read by a lawyer who specializes in artsy-craftsiness.

The investiment in the consulation may set you book US$100, but it\'ll work out CHEAP in the longish run and establish a reputation for professionalism with this client right from the start.

You may lose on this client but you ALWAYS win out in the end by taking a LONG view.

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
This has also been discussed on and on Feb 10, 2003

Check the forums, please!

Carla Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thread about transcreation Feb 11, 2003

Dear Georg,

I think that the following must be one of the threads that Steffen had in mind: http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=48554#48554.

Good luck

Carla

georg schreiner
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Carla! Feb 11, 2003

I hadn\'t been able to find any forums on this subject, so your link was very helpful.

thanks again,

george

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
English to German
+ ...
This is not the same! Feb 11, 2003

The other thread is about translation of advertising copy, this is about literary translation. This kind of work is usually badly paid but you can and should negotiate royalties, as Arthur says. I know you\'re not in Germany but maybe the VDÜ has some hints for you

http://www.literaturuebersetzer.de/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for creative translation (song lyrics, etc.)

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs