TRADOS: is freelance version entirely compatible with corporate?
Thread poster: Maria Forsyth
Maria Forsyth
English to Spanish
Mar 2, 2003

I am new to the field and I have seen several job postings for freelancer where they require Trados in order for you to get the job. Is Trados freelancer completely compatible with the corporate versions that clients have? Does Trados saves your translation in a non-MSWord that clients can just plug in in their own Trados software? Is that the reason why they require it? Thanks for any info, advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:03
English to German
+ ...
Ease of process integration Mar 2, 2003

Hi Maria,

Quote:

Is Trados freelancer completely compatible with the corporate versions that clients have?

Yes. Some restrictions may apply between versions 3.0 and 5.0/5.5, however, this does not affect translations in MS Word (the tagging format did not change from 3.0 to 5.0/5.5).

Essentially, the core components of Freelance and SPS are identical - the Freelance version being subject to some technical restrictions (number of active languages and missing network sharing capability being the most obvious).

Quote:
Does Trados saves your translation in a non-MSWord that clients can just plug in in their own Trados software? Is that the reason why they require it? Thanks for any info, advice.

For Word documents, I usually require freelancers to deliver the \"pre-cleanup\" document (= the document containing both the source and the target text, delimited by Trados tags). This will allow me to check the translation backed by my translation memory, but using the translator\'s work directly, without having to import anything.

As an alternative, you could deliver the target text together with a translation memory export. This involves slightly more work on the outsourcer\'s part, since you need to import the data and re-translate (incorporating any changes or corrections as you go along).

Hope that sheds some light...

Best regards, Ralf

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
Completely compatible I believe Mar 3, 2003

Ralf wrote:

For Word documents, I usually require freelancers to deliver the \"pre-cleanup\" document (= the document containing both the source and the target text, delimited by Trados tags). This will allow me to check the translation backed by my translation memory, but using the translator\'s work directly, without having to import anything

I use the same method. It also allows me to check the translation without having to print hard copies.

After I have put all the segments in my memory, I usually retranslate the source to check that everything is there!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS: is freelance version entirely compatible with corporate?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs