Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Have you read \'80,000$ a year as a freelancer\'?
Thread poster: Martijn Naarding
Martijn Naarding
Martijn Naarding  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:41
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 2, 2003

Not so long ago I received an email of translatortips.com in which a book by Alex Eames is promoted with the following title:

\"How to earn 80,000$+ as a freelance tranlator\"

Has anyone read this book? (apart from the first chapter that can be downloaded for free)Are these cowboy stories or is there valuable information for someone who has dedicated some years to this profession, but hasn\'t managed to make that amount of money?

Al
... See more
Not so long ago I received an email of translatortips.com in which a book by Alex Eames is promoted with the following title:

\"How to earn 80,000$+ as a freelance tranlator\"

Has anyone read this book? (apart from the first chapter that can be downloaded for free)Are these cowboy stories or is there valuable information for someone who has dedicated some years to this profession, but hasn\'t managed to make that amount of money?

All comments welcome!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search the forums Mar 2, 2003

Hi Martijn,

Have you tried searching the forums for \"Alex Eames\" and/or \"translatortips.com\"? You should find plenty of threads.

Konrad Dylo
Konrad Dylo  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish
+ ...
hmmm... Mar 2, 2003

quite a nice book (-let) and lots of seemingly useful directories and ideas... worth reading

saludos

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 3, 2003

Yes, I bought and read the book. I found it very helpful and I do not regret spending the money to buy it. I can\'t say whether you will find it helpful, but it helped me in these ways:

• focus on what I need to do to fulfill client needs and expectations (beyond translating well)

• presenting myself (how to advertise myself) in a professional manner so that potential clients will have confidence that I can do a good job

... See more
Yes, I bought and read the book. I found it very helpful and I do not regret spending the money to buy it. I can\'t say whether you will find it helpful, but it helped me in these ways:

• focus on what I need to do to fulfill client needs and expectations (beyond translating well)

• presenting myself (how to advertise myself) in a professional manner so that potential clients will have confidence that I can do a good job

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-03 01:28]
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:41
Finnish to English
Words of wisdom Mar 3, 2003

I won a copy.

Yeah there are plenty of words of wisdom for those starting out.

Perhaps not so very useful for those who have been around for some time.
[addsig]

Kay Fisher (X)
Kay Fisher (X)
German to English
+ ...
thought I'd warn you... Mar 3, 2003

That it wouldn\'t download properly for me and that attempts to get my $$$ back were fruitless.

Kay

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
The best ebook ever !!! Mar 3, 2003

You can purchase it right away.

Every advice you\'ll find there is worth its price tenfold. Also, with the book, you\'ll get a few nice bonuses (tranmail basic, etc.) really worth their weight of gold too.

Martijn Naarding
Spain
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. I will have a look! Mar 3, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-02 21:29, Lemster wrote:

Hi Martijn,

Have you tried searching the forums for \"Alex Eames\" and/or \"translatortips.com\"? You should find plenty of threads.

Martijn Naarding
Spain
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 3, 2003

I might as well do that!

Thanks again.

Martijn

Eva Gustavsson
Eva Gustavsson  Identity Verified
German to Swedish
+ ...
It is valuable advice, but... Mar 3, 2003

... you can find a good deal of it at http://home.attbi.com/~r.chriss/Articles/Articles.html. Roger Chriss has not decorated his message with drawings and such sparkling language, but essential things, like: never call an agency on mondays and fridays!, are there. The two of them have different opinions on some topics and that is nice: it means it is obviously possible to make a living without m... See more
... you can find a good deal of it at http://home.attbi.com/~r.chriss/Articles/Articles.html. Roger Chriss has not decorated his message with drawings and such sparkling language, but essential things, like: never call an agency on mondays and fridays!, are there. The two of them have different opinions on some topics and that is nice: it means it is obviously possible to make a living without managing (or wanting) to do everything exactly the same way as Alex Eames.

Good luck!

Eva

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-03 11:24]
Collapse

Martijn Naarding
Spain
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Eva, but Mar 3, 2003

the link is not valid can you please check so I can try again. I would like to see a different point of view.

Martijn

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
French to English
Mostly common sense... Mar 3, 2003

I bought this book and learned very little from it. The marketing tips given were already part of my marketing strategy. I still haven\'t earned that much, and to tell you the truth, it doesn\'t bother me one bit. I think a translator would have to work at least 12 hours a day, 7 days a week at fairly decent rates to make that much in a year, but who wants to just work in life?

I think that for most translators, it\'s not reali
... See more
I bought this book and learned very little from it. The marketing tips given were already part of my marketing strategy. I still haven\'t earned that much, and to tell you the truth, it doesn\'t bother me one bit. I think a translator would have to work at least 12 hours a day, 7 days a week at fairly decent rates to make that much in a year, but who wants to just work in life?

I think that for most translators, it\'s not realistic.

My 2 cents,

Erika

Collapse

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Roger Chriss link Mar 3, 2003

try this link

http://home.attbi.com/~r.chriss/Articles/Articles.html

Martijn Naarding
Spain
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Mar 3, 2003

That looks all right too. I am going to check this out! Thanks.

Martijn

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
It's not a cowboy story Mar 5, 2003

Earning 80.000 USD+ I mean. I\'m speaking from experience. I\'m currently at 96K+, excluding my wife\'s salary, who is also a translator, and my agency\'s profit.

However, it will take you a few years to get there and it involves some very hard work. But it is doable if you work from 9am to 5pm 5 days per week. You will have to spend every free minute calling clients and sending CV\'s though.

And yes, you will still be able to take the weekends off.
... See more
Earning 80.000 USD+ I mean. I\'m speaking from experience. I\'m currently at 96K+, excluding my wife\'s salary, who is also a translator, and my agency\'s profit.

However, it will take you a few years to get there and it involves some very hard work. But it is doable if you work from 9am to 5pm 5 days per week. You will have to spend every free minute calling clients and sending CV\'s though.

And yes, you will still be able to take the weekends off.

Buying a book can help, though it is not absolutely necessary. If you use your common sense and are willing to learn from any mistakes made, you\'ll get there too (the hard way, just like me *grins*).

The best tip I can give is: always check your client\'s credibility. Don\'t work for clients who don\'t pay or pay late.

Also, these salaries are only feasible if you can translate +/- 4000 words per day or more (in western languages). Some people work fast, others work slower. See it as a sports and slowly work your way up. It\'s not for everyone, and translating less per day certainly does not make you a better or worse translator.

The challenge is to raise your translation speed to 4000 words per day, while still maintaining high quality standards.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-05 21:12]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you read \'80,000$ a year as a freelancer\'?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »