Mobile menu

Compiling your own agency list (staff: blue board is useful)
Thread poster: Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 03:36
English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2003

I have two questions that are kind of related. I\'ve been reading about Alex Eames and his database on this forum and nobody mentioned how many of the agencies that actually replied also provided good jobs, but also how many of the actually paid on time with no problem?

Second question is how hard would it be to compile your own list? Why don\'t people do that?

Maria

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 09:36
French to English
You CAN compile your own list... Mar 3, 2003

There are lots of resources out there to locate agencies...the yellow pages, translators\' web sites, translator associations, etc.

I think the important thing is just to target agencies that work in your language pair and specialty areas and not to indiscriminately send mass mailings without doing your homework first. There is nothing stopping you from doing the legwork on your own, and at least that way you know who you are contacting because you\'ve done the research yourself.

HTH and good luck!

Sara
[addsig]

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
The Blue Board is such a list (from all members) Mar 3, 2003

The Blue Board can be used to find/contact agencies that members of this site have worked with, and are likely/unlikely to work with again. Platinum members get full access, others can view agencies one-by-one using browniz.

http://www.proz.com/blueboard

Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:36
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
A small clarification Mar 3, 2003

Henry, I am sure you can clarify my small doubt: why are some agencies in red bold?

Many thanks in advance

Mirella

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Very worthwhile to compile your own list Mar 3, 2003

I would just like to add that I recently did start to compile my own list, using the Blue Board as a starting point.

Firstly, I check out the web site of the agency. If none is mentioned, they are still usually on a web site somewhere, e.g. the web site of their town.

I then complete the full details, where some of these are missing (full name, address, telephone and fax number, email address and so on), as well as add information taken from people\'s comments about reliability of payment, etc. and also (very important!) what language pairs and subject areas the agency actually does work in. I try to discover the name of a person to contact, from the web site, if possible.

Finally, I intend to make my own personal database. By the time I get to that stage I will know which agencies use translators in my specialities. Other agencies, that do not, will go into my database so that, when I have my own agency one day, I will have possible contacts for translations in other fields and language pairs.

During the course of compiling my database, I have written relevant letters to a few selected agencies, with whom I would be interested in working.

Do not forget of course, to go through your list or database regularly and check/update details as necessary. They change over a period of time.

Hope this helps.

Astrid

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
to Mirelluk Mar 3, 2003

Agencies listed in red are also ProZ members, and you can view their profile by clicking on their names.

Maria Knorr
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So why pay? Mar 4, 2003

So Alex Eames\' list for $79 is basically to save time and make you life easier?

Maria

Sanjay Ray  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:06
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Exchange of agencies list among PROZIANS Mar 4, 2003

I was wondering why we, the proz members can not exchange our own lists? Over a period of time I have collected e-mails of many agencies. I wish to exchange it with other freelancers who have collected their own. ANy suggestions?

Eduard Prykhodkin
Local time: 10:36
English to Russian
Lists to compare Mar 4, 2003

I\'ve stumbled upon several similar lists on the Internet.

E.g. http://www.webtransl.com/translation-agencies/

If I were a beginner I would have bought one of them rather than compiling a new list, but not now...

I wonder, if anyone has at least 2 different agency lists? It would be funny to compare them...

Eduard

Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:36
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Many thanks Elvira. Apr 3, 2003

I read your answer only today.

Mirella

Quote:

On 2003-03-03 19:21, eli wrote:

Agencies listed in red are also ProZ members, and you can view their profile by clicking on their names.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compiling your own agency list (staff: blue board is useful)

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs