Interpreters: do you use purchase orders?
Thread poster: Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
Member (2002)
Russian to English
Mar 11, 2003

Hello all,

I have a fairly large interpreting job coming up and was wondering if it is as standard to use a purchase order for these kinds of things as it is for translating, where you often never meet the person you are working for.

Any advice/experiences will be appreciated.

Elizabeth

protolmach
protolmach  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
I would strongly advise you to have your client draft either a PO, or an Agreement Mar 11, 2003

It\'s a good idea to have everything spelled out and put on paper.

Best,

Elana

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:16
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Agreements Mar 11, 2003

Usually, serious clients ask you to sign an Agreement after you commit to the project. They usually write there all the conditions, the penalties (if any, let\'s say if you do change your mind the last minute etc,) the normal rate, the overtime rate (if any,) the transportation reimbursment details etc. If the client does not offer this, then you should ask them about it.

Good luck,

Monika

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:16
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Jon cancellation penalty Mar 11, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-11 04:09, EAdams wrote:

Hello all,

I have a fairly large interpreting job coming up and was wondering if it is as standard to use a purchase order for these kinds of things as it is for translating, where you often never meet the person you are working for.

Elizabeth

I would also suggest you ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-11 04:09, EAdams wrote:

Hello all,

Elizabeth

I would also suggest you to have a job cancellation penalty included in the customer PO, as a sudden job cancellation notice just a few days before the actual service commencement would possibly result in a loss for you in case you had to reject other jobs to accept the interpretation one. You could agree on a variable job cancellation penalty based on how many days the job might be cancelled before its start.

Kind regards

Mario Cerutti

Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:16
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Confirming an oral order is also a document Mar 11, 2003

In cases where one might feel awkward to ask for a PO, one can always confirm in writing what has been agreed.

Be careful to get a proof of reception! Faxing is the most discreet form as the fax technology only works with mutual handshakes = proof of reception (\"OK\").

Letters (without receipt) and eMails (even with receipt) do not have the same legal standing.

If no objection is presented, you have a valid document of what has been agreed.

... See more
In cases where one might feel awkward to ask for a PO, one can always confirm in writing what has been agreed.

Be careful to get a proof of reception! Faxing is the most discreet form as the fax technology only works with mutual handshakes = proof of reception (\"OK\").

Letters (without receipt) and eMails (even with receipt) do not have the same legal standing.

If no objection is presented, you have a valid document of what has been agreed.

BR

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail: [email protected]

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Collapse

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:16
Italian to German
+ ...
Don't work without PO Mar 11, 2003

Hello!So far I have always been asked to place a quotation first. After that I normally get back to the customer the next day or some days later (if they don\'t do it before). If the customer then states the offer is reasonable I fax him a prepared PO for interpretation assigments which he then has to return signed.

Beside the PO I always fax my conditions where the customer will find everything detailed.

Hope this helps!!!

Good luck!!!...
See more
Hello!So far I have always been asked to place a quotation first. After that I normally get back to the customer the next day or some days later (if they don\'t do it before). If the customer then states the offer is reasonable I fax him a prepared PO for interpretation assigments which he then has to return signed.

Beside the PO I always fax my conditions where the customer will find everything detailed.

Hope this helps!!!

Good luck!!!))
[addsig]
Collapse

Marocas
Marocas  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 15:16
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Italia, my concern is just the same. ¿Could you show us a sample of a PO and conditions? Thanks. Mar 11, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-11 07:19, italia wrote:

Beside the PO I always fax my conditions where the customer will ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-11 07:19, italia wrote:

Hope this helps!!!

Good luck!!!))

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
Member (2002)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
any samples? Mar 11, 2003

Thanks for your input!

I have a purchase order that I use for translation jobs, but is that OK to use for interpreting as well, or are there purchase orders specifically for interpreting jobs?

It would be great if someone could point me toward some samples.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreters: do you use purchase orders?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »