Mobile menu

Strict deadline, but haven\'t gotten the original text yet!
Thread poster: Mary Watson

Mary Watson  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:06
German to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2003

I need some input. I responded to an ad for a job - deadline Thursday morning at 9am. I sent my reply at 7:30am Monday morning. It is now Monday afternoon at 2pm and I haven\'t gotten the text yet - the agency keeps promising it\'s coming. What should I do? Refuse to do the job now, or ask for a deadline extension. I am really pressed for time as I work a part-time job Tuesday and Wednesday and only accepted the job since I was going to do the bulk of it today, Monday

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
English to German
+ ...
Refuse the job unless the deadline is extended Mar 24, 2003

A difficult thing to do, I know - but chances are you\'re going to run out of time, and start to sacrifice quality, one way or another - no points for guessing who will be blamed for that...

Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:06
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Ralf Mar 24, 2003

If you feel you won\'t be able to do it properly you probably won\'t and then you\'ll lose a customer for life.

Insist that they extend the deadline seen that it is not your fault if the document hasn\'t reached you yet.

And don\'t feel bad because you are working part-time, a full-time translator would probably have other assignments preventing him or her from doing what has become a rush job!

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Be specific Mar 25, 2003

Of course intolerable.

One would have had to expect text delivery by noon.

Tell them:

\"You are now 4 hours late. My delivery time must hence be prolonged by 4 hours. If there will be further hours the delivery time must be prolonged accordingly.

If that is not OK with you I must abstain.\"

Best regards

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe Deu>swe moderator

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strict deadline, but haven\'t gotten the original text yet!

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs