Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Should I accept the fourth job from an agency which has not payed for the first ones yet?
Thread poster: Maricica W.
Maricica W.  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
Mar 31, 2003

I translated about 500 pages for an agency in October and November 2002. They said they would pay in 60 days. Other translators involved in the project did not respect the deadline and the payment was postponed. I\'m still waiting for that check.

In the meanwhile, I translated some small documents for the same agency.

Now they asked me to start working on a very large file. I refused and one of the reasons was that I got no payment for any previous job to them.

Am I being unreasonable? I can\'t tell if 5 months are enough time for a $400 check to be sent. They claim being a big agency but I don\'t know whether to trust them or not.

Greetings from the worrisome Eastern Europe,

Veronica

Direct link Reply with quote

sylvie malich
Germany
Local time: 17:23
German to English
You are not being unreasonable for not accepting. Mar 31, 2003

-greetings

sylvie

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check Blue Board / payment practices lists Mar 31, 2003

Hi Veronica,

You can check other translators\' experience on the ProZ.com Blue Board.

To get an idea of the payment record of that agency, have a look at payment practices lists such as TCR or PP (search the forums if you don\'t have the URL).

I don\'t know which arrangements were made at the time, but 5 months sound excessive, whatever the amount involved.

HTH, Ralf

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:23
SITE FOUNDER
Get it in writing (if not cash) Mar 31, 2003

I agree with Ralf, that is too long for any amount.

The fact that you are still considering working for them suggests that to a degree, you trust them. If you are confident of their reputation, contact details, etc., and are willing to continue risking not being paid, at the very least you should get something in writing about what they already owe you. There is only one reason they would not be able to send you that.

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Payment Mar 31, 2003

Veronica, if they are such a big company, why do they have the policy of paying on a 60 days basis? My experience with companies that pay on a 60 days basis is not too good, usually these are companies with little flow cash and unable to pay their translators on time. A good practice is 30 days. I would say you are not being unreasonable, you have all the right to claim what they owe you and even charge them a late fee.

Good luck,

Dinorah

[ This Message was edited by: dtijerino on 2003-03-31 14:07]

Nina Snoj
Slovenia
Member (2004)
Spanish to Slovenian
+ ...
I wouldnt... Mar 31, 2003

It is my personal opinion, but I wouldnt do it. Not being payed is something we all go through at least once in our career; it happened to me last year (with Polylingua, bytheway) and I wouldnt translate as much as one letter for them again.

All the best!

NIna

Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:23
German to English
+ ...
I would be wary Mar 31, 2003

I would be wary of accepting work from an agency that has taken so long to pay.

Jeannie

Alberto Gruber
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're absolutely right Mar 31, 2003

Hi Veronica,

I decided not to continue working for a company that owed me a large sum for a previous translation. They said that I was acting irresponsably by refusing at the last moment to do a new translation, leaving them stranded. Over a year later, they have still not paid me for any of my work. Just as well I didn\'t waste any more time on that final translation. Regards,

Alberto

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Should I accept the fourth job from an agency which has not payed for the first Mar 31, 2003

Nu!

Salut,

Marc

edlih_be
Flemish to English
+ ...
5 months and you still haven't been paid? Mar 31, 2003

i\'d be going nuts by now - in fact, i\'d be going nuts after about 5 weeks.

try and chase-up the money owed to you, or refuse to work further. the chances are, you\'ll cause yourself a lot more aggravation in the long-run if you decide to go ahead with this work - worrying, chasing up, threatening etc. etc.

my advice: PASS on this job and start pushing for your money from previous translations.

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:23
Italian to English
+ ...
If you haven't yet gone to the Blue Board... Mar 31, 2003

do it now and put in your own entry stating you haven\'t been paid in 5 months. You may not think that\'s a long time (I certainly do!), but there are surely other translators who would thank you for entering that info.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-03-31 13:46, Veruzza wrote:

I can\'t tell if 5 months are enough time for a $400 check to be sent. They claim being a big agency but I don\'t know whether to trust them or not.

mark griffith
Hungarian to English
+ ...
No Mar 31, 2003

No, Veronica, you shouldn\'t.

OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
No way! Apr 1, 2003

Get your money first.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
No way. Apr 1, 2003

$400 for 500 pages? Then they don\'t even pay you the $400?

No way.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I accept the fourth job from an agency which has not payed for the first ones yet?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs