Mobile menu

Is it worthwhile to upgrade from Office 2000 to Office XP?
Thread poster: Jacqueline McKay

Jacqueline McKay  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
French to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2003

Hello all,

I am thinking about upgrading from Office 2000 to Office XP. Would it be worthwhile for me to do so?

My current set-up is: Windows XP Professional Edition and Office 2000.

Would you advise me to stick to Office 2000 or to upgrade to Office XP?

Does Office XP still contain a few bugs?

Is it compatible with Trados? With which versions?

Best Regards,

Jacqueline McKay

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
Italian to English
+ ...
Don't upgrade for the sake of it. Apr 3, 2003

I used office 2000 for years and found it great. I upgraded to XP because there was a particular feature that was supported better on XP then on previous office versions (one for example is the TM program MetaTexis).

In addition, I receive a lot of help and support from my old colleagues at IBM, and through them and others we have lots of contacts with Office users circles. Efectively, this means that all the help/support etc. gets focussed on the newer products (in this case then O XP), with the older products gradually being sideleined. This another reason why I also decided to go for XP.

However, if you are happy with O 2K and are fully productive then think twice before an upgrade. Remember, you will always loose some time getting used to the new \"features\" or bugs etc. and so you will need to account for this.

I personally, have found O XP to be great. Stable, well thought out and well integrated between the various apps. It seems MS are gradually getting some things right, although there will always be aspects that some people do not agree with. For example check which version of XP you want to buy, and ensure it is not missing any of the components you previously used in O 2K (publisher for example).

If you want to check out some of this information, by far the best web resource is a collection of newsletters and other resources ran by a guy called Woody Leonhard (check the spelling) called Woodys Office Watch, there you will find all the info you need. They also support office back to ver. 97 so you will also be able to get some feed back regarding comparisons etc. The web address is - there you will find support tips etc. aimed at ALL levels and for almost all MS products.

Good luck.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
Flemish to English
+ ...
Office2003 Apr 3, 2003

The release of Office2003 has been announced for May, 2003. If you wait another month you can directly upgrade to Office2003. I do not know about its compatibility with Trados.

XP is compatible with Trados. Did not experience a lot of problems with it.

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
useless I think Apr 3, 2003

I installed office XP because I got it for free (yes someone had forgotten the CD in a drawer).

I found nothing really necessary compared to 2000. The appearance is better.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:16
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Go for XP Apr 3, 2003

Both Win and Office. I have already forgotten how 2K looks like, but XP has many advantegous features, e.g., font preview from font menu, you can acess meny open documents (all are shown on your bottom toolbar, just a click away)and many more...

English to French
+ ...
YES! Apr 3, 2003

Do not upgrade, throw out 2000 and install XP. Never \"hang up\" since. And have a lot of fun!

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
The sad truth Apr 4, 2003

is that with each new version of Office Bill adds something trivial that you later cannot live without if you ever have to work on a previous version...

For example, O97 was unable to merge two cells in a table vertically. O2K can. I\'m sure OXP also has additional bells and whistles.

Otherwise, you just have to attempt to read the sales pitch for the new version _objectively_ and see if it has anything that will really improve your work. I\'ve also been using O2K for years and have no urge to upgrade (I use Win 2K).

The only upgrade I would consider (if you have not done so already) is to upgrade from Windows 98 to XP. Or, better yet, save the money and buy yourself something nice

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it worthwhile to upgrade from Office 2000 to Office XP?

Advanced search

Translation news

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs