Pradeep Mahapatra
Pradeep Mahapatra
India
Local time: 15:40
English to Oriya
+ ...
Mar 22, 2008

Dear All,

This is my first time to write on the forum. I don't know whether it is right to ask such silly questions to the experts or not, but I have to. I need guidance.

1) Can anyone tell me how could I reach the direct clients, who are in need for EnglishOriya translation, transcription, product localization, proofreading, subtitling etc.?

2) Is it right to write about a company or person who failed to pay after several remiders and phone calls? He prom
... See more
Dear All,

This is my first time to write on the forum. I don't know whether it is right to ask such silly questions to the experts or not, but I have to. I need guidance.

1) Can anyone tell me how could I reach the direct clients, who are in need for EnglishOriya translation, transcription, product localization, proofreading, subtitling etc.?

2) Is it right to write about a company or person who failed to pay after several remiders and phone calls? He promised to pay within 15 days after submmisssion of the invoice and already one and half months gone.

Please advise me on the two topics.

Thank you.

Pradeep Chandra Mahapatra
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:10
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please use the Blue Board for reporting on your experience with outsourcers Mar 22, 2008

Dear Pradeep Chandra Mahapatra,

The best way to reach clients is to increase your own visibility, showcasing your expertise in the subject: participate in KudoZ, in forums, and make sure you have a complete, well-developed ProZ.com profile, with the right keywords entered.

ProZ.com has a special place for writing about your experience (good or bad) with outsourcers. That is the Blue Board. When entering an LWA (Likelihood to Work Again) of 1 or 2 in a Blue Board reco
... See more
Dear Pradeep Chandra Mahapatra,

The best way to reach clients is to increase your own visibility, showcasing your expertise in the subject: participate in KudoZ, in forums, and make sure you have a complete, well-developed ProZ.com profile, with the right keywords entered.

ProZ.com has a special place for writing about your experience (good or bad) with outsourcers. That is the Blue Board. When entering an LWA (Likelihood to Work Again) of 1 or 2 in a Blue Board record, the system will ask you if you wish to submit a non-payment report. Please do so when asked. If there is no Blue Board record for the company or person for whom you worked, please create one. Here is the link to the main Blue Board page:

http://www.proz.com/blueboard

Best regards,

Yolanda Stern Broad, Ph.D.
ProZ.com Jobs/Blue Board Moderator
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Increase your visibility Mar 22, 2008

Dr. Broad already addressed number 2.

For #1, you need to find the people who need these services and convince them that they ought to use you rather than, say, the receptionist. You might want to take a look at Business Issues posts about people in the US working in English to Spanish for ideas.

If you don't live in an Oriya-speaking part of India, you should consider registering with/joining any Oriya-speaking organizations where you live.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 04:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
Re #2 Mar 22, 2008

Have you phoned and/or e-mailed the company? Did they notify you that the translation was received and satisfactory? Try all other avenues before you enter something on the Blue Board.

Pradeep Mahapatra
Pradeep Mahapatra
India
English to Oriya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Yolanda Mar 23, 2008

Dear Yolanda,

Thank you very much for the guidance. I will do what you advised me to.

Pradeep

Pradeep Mahapatra
Pradeep Mahapatra
India
English to Oriya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Tina Mar 23, 2008

Dear Tina,

Thank you for your reply. I telephoned them, sent mails and they notified me that they received the files fine & healthy and they are satishfied, as they told me.

Pradeep

Pradeep Mahapatra
Pradeep Mahapatra
India
English to Oriya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Paul Mar 23, 2008

Dear Paul Merriam,

I am living in Orissa, in the land of Lord Jagannath i.e. Puri and my mother tounge is Oriya.

Pradeep

Sanjay Ray
Sanjay Ray  Identity Verified
India
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Identify a bad-payer Mar 23, 2008

This is re2.
I suggest for future assignments you identify a bad-payer before you take up the translation job

The following link gives a discussion on this subject.

http://www.proz.com/post/520548#520548

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Distinguish yourself Mar 24, 2008

Pradeep Chandra Mahapatra wrote:

Dear Paul Merriam,

I am living in Orissa, in the land of Lord Jagannath i.e. Puri and my mother tounge is Oriya.

Pradeep

In this case, there are a number of Oriya-speaking people in the vicinity. Many of them have studied English in school. You need to be able to answer the question, "What distinguishes you from any of the other people I could find?" This might be an additional field of expertise (e.g., based on prior jobs that didn't involve translation) or your familiarity with English in a specific field (e.g., from having studied that field). Perhaps you're in a good position to work with, say, Hindi to Oriya. But that's something you know more about than I do.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need Advise

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »