Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 09:21
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 4, 2008

Is it just me, or others are also experiencing a sudden surge in translation jobs?

With me it started a week ago, when my regular clients started flooding me with larger-than-usual jobs. And now, in the past two days I've been contacted four times by prospective new clients.
All this comes just when I'm also busy with two major non-translation projects, when the spring weather is finally enjoyable, and when I'm starting a holiday a week from now...

In the past I'
... See more
Is it just me, or others are also experiencing a sudden surge in translation jobs?

With me it started a week ago, when my regular clients started flooding me with larger-than-usual jobs. And now, in the past two days I've been contacted four times by prospective new clients.
All this comes just when I'm also busy with two major non-translation projects, when the spring weather is finally enjoyable, and when I'm starting a holiday a week from now...

In the past I've seen fluctuations in workload, and I know it's normal, but this time all of these new jobs just happen to coincide within a very short timeframe.

Anyone else experiencing a similar surge?

Csaba
Collapse

Harry Hermawan
Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 14:21
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No, but isn't that good for business? Apr 4, 2008

Csaba Ban wrote:

Anyone else experiencing a similar surge?

No. Isn't steady and surge in load good for business?

Moi...expecting a surge in translation job anytime soon...

Happy weekend...

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
YES, but ... Apr 4, 2008

Yes, but almost exclusively from US agencies trying to buy a euro’s worth of translation for a USD!

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
French to English
Not here :-( Apr 4, 2008

If anything, a but quieter than usual, altho' my records show that April is never exactly a rip-roaring month.

Still, good luck to you

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Comes and Goes Apr 4, 2008

January was a just below last year's pace in volume terms. I experienced a slowdown in the first ten days of February then a more than full blast for six weeks (had to refuse jobs simply due to lack of capacity), currently a moderate pace, but wouldn't be surprised to receive a full blast again starting next week.

Unless globalization is derailed and/or there is a deep worldwide recession, I expect demand for translations to remain steady or increase, at all price ranges.
... See more
January was a just below last year's pace in volume terms. I experienced a slowdown in the first ten days of February then a more than full blast for six weeks (had to refuse jobs simply due to lack of capacity), currently a moderate pace, but wouldn't be surprised to receive a full blast again starting next week.

Unless globalization is derailed and/or there is a deep worldwide recession, I expect demand for translations to remain steady or increase, at all price ranges.

Good luck!
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Apr 4, 2008

Where I live, January and the first quarter are traditionally low (just closed VAT for the first quarter, and practically zero growth posted with respect to 2007 - which may be a consequence of a rates hike I had to slap on top of our end-of-year 3.6% inflation figure). I got the sensation that people were lying low and just coming out of the woodwork. Attributed it to the general mortgage crunch.

Over here, 2nd and 3rd quarter growths are usually high, with a slight drop in the 4th
... See more
Where I live, January and the first quarter are traditionally low (just closed VAT for the first quarter, and practically zero growth posted with respect to 2007 - which may be a consequence of a rates hike I had to slap on top of our end-of-year 3.6% inflation figure). I got the sensation that people were lying low and just coming out of the woodwork. Attributed it to the general mortgage crunch.

Over here, 2nd and 3rd quarter growths are usually high, with a slight drop in the 4th. Could this be a general trend?
Collapse

Ana Kübli
Ana Kübli
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
Murphy's Law Apr 4, 2008

... I'd say!

I can relate to your situation... same thing happens to me every time I plan a holiday and I usually have to plan my holidays well.... and the more I am looking forward to holidays, the more inquiries I get....

But it's good for business, I would say.

Have a nice weekend!

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
When it rains it poors Apr 4, 2008

combined with Murphy's law as Ana pointed out

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Same here Apr 4, 2008

A surge in the space of a few weeks, after a very slow month in February. The same day I accepted a big project, more projects started coming in... aargh!

I think it's just Murphy's law, not attribuable to any particular trend.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:21
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Sven - Apr 4, 2008

Sven Petersson wrote:

Yes, but almost exclusively from US agencies trying to buy a euro’s worth of translation for a USD

I have been experiencing an extreme surge of projects by US manufacturers who give the projects to European agencies and those well-paid jobs end up on my desk back in the US. This has been going on for many months.

How do you explain that?

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
@ Nicole Apr 4, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I have been experiencing an extreme surge of projects by US manufacturers who give the projects to European agencies and those well-paid jobs end up on my desk back in the US. This has been going on for many months.
How do you explain that?

There is no explanation other than the agencies' marketing power and the naivety of end customers.
Last year I got at least a dozen jobs that travelled literally round the world from companies located within 150 km radius from my home to end up on my desk. As there's absolutely no difference in my rates offered to agencies / end customers, I wonder how much they spent on agencies' margins in total...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:21
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Not sure how this is supposed to be related to naivety Apr 4, 2008

Iza Szczypka wrote:

There is no explanation other than the agencies' marketing power and the naivety of end customers.
Last year I got at least a dozen jobs that travelled literally round the world from companies located within 150 km radius from my home to end up on my desk. As there's absolutely no difference in my rates offered to agencies / end customers, I wonder how much they spent on agencies' margins in total...

The companies I am talking about are world market leaders and they simply pick the providers they like best because they can afford it.

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
Steady Apr 4, 2008

The amount of work has been fairly steady for months now. However, one pattern I've noticed over the past couple of months is that the majority of my jobs tend to come in on a Friday - and the deadline is invariably Monday/Tuesday! What a coincidence!

Simon

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:21
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Even with regular ups and downs... Apr 4, 2008

Even with regular ups and downs, idle and rush periods, there is one obvious trend in the market: the amount of jobs increases faster than the quantity of translators capable to handle them.

Laura Tridico
Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:21
French to English
+ ...
I've had a busy year... Apr 4, 2008

but I've noticed a lot of demand the past few weeks, especially in the financial sector. I've had several jobs in the 25K-50K word range this year, and I've been working full steam, still passing on jobs I'd otherwise love to do. I have a feeling there's a lot of demand in the commercial French>English sector right now. Many of my colleagues are really busy as well.

I thought the recent push might be due the end of the first quarter... Not that I'm complaining!

... See more
but I've noticed a lot of demand the past few weeks, especially in the financial sector. I've had several jobs in the 25K-50K word range this year, and I've been working full steam, still passing on jobs I'd otherwise love to do. I have a feeling there's a lot of demand in the commercial French>English sector right now. Many of my colleagues are really busy as well.

I thought the recent push might be due the end of the first quarter... Not that I'm complaining!

Laura
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A sudden surge of translation jobs?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »