Agencies or end customers?
Thread poster: Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:32
German to English
Jan 9, 2002

When reading job postings how can I tell whether a job is being offered by a translation agency or an end customer and thus be able to bid appropriately? I\'m very reluctant to quote prices both for agencies and end customers in a single bid. All suggestions welcome.

Robert Kerns, technical translator (IT & telecommunications) in Bochum, Germany

n-projects
n-projects
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try to look up their name on the internet Jan 9, 2002

When I don\'t know whether it\'s a final client or an agency, I always try to find the requester\'s (company) name on the internet. Google works fine for me for this purpose. Good luck!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:32
Member (2004)
English to Italian
you can't, Robert... Jan 9, 2002

unless the poster posts enough information, like a Internet address. Sometimes you can tell by the name of the poster if it is an agency or not. This is an old issue... we - translators - should be presented with much more information on job posters, who shouldn\'t be allowed to post in an anonimous way.

GG

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
This is indeed an old question Jan 10, 2002

And it was discussed here extensively, and many people asked Henry to make it obligatory for the posters to provide more information, particularly since Henry keeps saying that this site\'s aim is to bring interpreters and clients in direct contact.

However, as far as I know, he did nothing to back up his words and job posters are still allowed to remain effectively anonymous.

There is now a Blueboard for ratings, but my understanding is that its only purpose is to force pe
... See more
And it was discussed here extensively, and many people asked Henry to make it obligatory for the posters to provide more information, particularly since Henry keeps saying that this site\'s aim is to bring interpreters and clients in direct contact.

However, as far as I know, he did nothing to back up his words and job posters are still allowed to remain effectively anonymous.

There is now a Blueboard for ratings, but my understanding is that its only purpose is to force people to obtain paid memberships, as it is pretty much useless otherwise.

When someone pointed it out, Henry was quite unpleasant about it throughout the whole discussion, which was subsequently locked. So unfortunately, indeed, very little can be done about the whole thing.
Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 10, 2002

Thanks for the answers!!

RK
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies or end customers?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »