How's business business?
Thread poster: Lesley Sawyer
Lesley Sawyer
Lesley Sawyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:33
French to English
Apr 16, 2008

I'm a financial French to English translator finally about to resume work after an extended "maternity leave" and about to pay £45 per day in childcare for the privilege. I'm wondering how my timing is? Is the credit crunch having an impact on the volume of financial translations available. Or is the French financial sector unaffected so far?
Thanks.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Bad news has to be communicated as well Apr 16, 2008

... so I can imagine that the credit crunch even creates an additional demand for translation. Correct me if I am wrong.

Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I've had more business... Apr 16, 2008

...but I think that's due to my being paid in USD!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Plenty of financial translations Apr 16, 2008

Lesley Sawyer wrote:

I'm a financial French to English translator finally about to resume work after an extended "maternity leave" and about to pay £45 per day in childcare for the privilege. I'm wondering how my timing is? Is the credit crunch having an impact on the volume of financial translations available. Or is the French financial sector unaffected so far?
Thanks.

Well, I've had plenty of financial translations lately, mainly from France. I've noticed that my "old faithful" British agencies have been much quieter lately, whereas business from France has increased. Don't know if it has anything to do with the exchange rates or the credit crunch.
Good luck with your return to work (not that motherhood isn't work, of course!).
Jenny

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
But consider Apr 16, 2008

Consider that if you are working at home, child care is to a fair extent compatible with translation, so you could start out like that. Then if the volume builds up to the point it is no longer compatible, you will be assured an income that will allow you to shell out for child care.

I've handled both in my day, and I'm not even a woman.

Lesley Sawyer
Lesley Sawyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I've tried that before, too stressful. Apr 16, 2008

Well, you're a better man than I am then! Guess I'm just no good at multi-tasking. I'm not just starting out actually, I've maintained a very good relationship with one agency by working in the weekends and they have told me they will forward more work if I am available more days. My concern is whether they will have any work to forward in the current environment. But from the replies so far, it's looking hopeful.

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:33
Member (2008)
French to English
business business looks good to me Apr 17, 2008

I feel like I see a lot of jobs come up FR>EN in finance. This may be a "grass is greener" perception, since this is the one of the fields I feel least competent in, but I feel like a see a job or two go by every day that I regretfully decide not to bid on.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How's business business?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »