Mobile menu

Blackberry and int'l roaming: 'pay as you go' in UK/Germany?
Thread poster: DPS

Local time: 02:54
German to English
+ ...
May 4, 2008

Hello everyone,

I have finally made up my mind to get a Blackberry or smartphone after all, but am still trying to establish some rather basic (cost-related) points.

I am based in Sydney, Australia, where some reasonably priced contracts are available. Problem is that int'l roaming is almost prohibitively expensive.

I am spending several months each year overseas, mostly in the UK, Germany, NZ and Japan. As it would in all likelihood be ruinous for me to use my Blackberry roaming Europe for months, I am looking for affordable alternatives. The option that came to mind is that of 'pay as you go' SIMs in those countries, esp. the UK and Germany (NZ isn't a problem).

Ideally of course, I would be able to use one SIM for all of Europe (what with roaming costs within the EU down a bit – or not?).

Alternatively, does anyone know of a dual/multi-SIM smartphone? I have seen dual-SIM mobiles.

Also: I am using several e-mail accounts. I have established that my Australian-based providers would not charge extra for Blackberry services. Does anyone know if I would incur any extra charges for retrieving German-based AOL/Alice and gmx accounts using a Blackberry?

And finally, so far none of the over-zealous salespeople here have been able to explain to me whether I have to pay only for e-mails actually opened/downloaded or for EVERYTHING retrieved by the Blackberry, i.e. would I have to pay for Spam?

Thanks and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Dutch to German
+ ...
Smartphone in Germany May 4, 2008

Hi Petra,

I am not familiar with Blackberries, but whenever I am in Germany, I use a Windows Mobile smartphone with a pay as you go SIM card that charges me 0,29 EUR per MB. Drawback: not a very fast connection (although mostly good enough for me), but most smartphones have WiFi these days, so you can always look for a hotspot when you need something faster.

Multiple e-mail accounts: same here, and I can retrieve them at no extra costs except for data traffic.

Still looking for solutions for other European countries though, so suggestions are also welcome for me. Roaming is no option for me (at least not for mobile internet), as there are mostly cheaper local alternatives.

Good luck!

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:54
French to English
Not really that expensive May 4, 2008

Hi Petra

Its quite hard to get a pay as you go blackberry in Europe without also paying a small yearly phone subscription. It can be done in Italy with TIM paying a monthly subscrition of 9 Euros for illimited use in Italy. I think in France it is impossible and and the UK it is impossible at the moment.

Roaming charges (with my French company Orange at least) are amazingly low. After 3 years of use my blackberry option has never cost me more than 25 Euros a month even in Venezuela and I spend most of my time in Italy and the UK with my French phone. The important thing is to use your blackberry internet site to screen you messages so that you only get sent the ones you want. You are automatically sent your emails from any account that you want from anywhere in the world but have to pay for each email pushed to your BB even if you don't open it. (The second very important thing is that when you buy your BB make sure that it isn't dedicated to one phone company and that you can change the SIM card and phone company if need be).

My advice if you pay taxes in Australia would be to buy your BB in Australia and check out how much it really costs you here over a week, for instance, as with a few precautions it may be low. Then if its costing you more than about 25 Euros/month I would change for a European company for use throughout Europe.

(As an indication a Blackberry message consumes 10 ko of Data so ask your australian company how much it would cost for you to receive an email in the UK)

Happy roaming

[Edited at 2008-05-04 10:43]

[Edited at 2008-05-04 10:44]

[Edited at 2008-05-04 10:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blackberry and int'l roaming: 'pay as you go' in UK/Germany?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs