Mobile menu

French Agencies and translation tests
Thread poster: Rebecca Lyne

Rebecca Lyne
French to English
+ ...
May 11, 2008

I have noticed that translation agencies in France seem to have a very high propensity for requiring translation tests.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there a reason for this that I am not aware of?

I don't see this as much out of the UK .

Direct link Reply with quote
Stephanie Sirot  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:17
English to French
+ ...
It depends on the agency May 11, 2008

Well I guess it depends on the agency. It happens in the US and in Canada too.
Many agencies believe that a test will allow them to see the quality of your work and your abilities.

While this idea might be good at first, many agencies tend to take advantage of the situation, requiring unpaid tests, long tests and the worse ones will use this method to get free translation.

In many cases, you do a test and never hear from the agency again. Or they fail you if your rates are too high for them. Or they argue of poor quality to lower your rates.

Doing tests is just not worth it, and I believe that no translator should ever accept to do unpaid work. I never do tests. But that's just my point of view.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Tit for tat May 12, 2008

Usually, I won't do any translation tests, except when the project of a new client looks interesting enough, I agree to do a translation test in combination with a payment test, which new clients usually won't agree...

Rebecca Lyne
French to English
+ ...
another one! :-) May 12, 2008

Thank you for the feedback.

Just about an hour ago I got yet again another email from a French agency asking if I would do a test. I said no.

I can't think of too many other professions were a CV and references were not enough to go by. Eventually it is about trusting the person is it not? Oh well!

I was curious if it was something specific to French agencies, however I see it happens everywhere.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French Agencies and translation tests

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs