Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:19
Spanish
+ ...
May 21, 2008

My credit card was recently charged with an unauthorized transaction made from some sort of scam company. I looked them up online and apparently this company charge people randomly for some sort of phantom service--no one really knew what they do. Anyway, I checked my transactions and one of the new services and companies on my statement is Vistaprint. I'm not saying they shared my information but I want to rule out all possible causes.

So, has anybody noticed anything unusual after
... See more
My credit card was recently charged with an unauthorized transaction made from some sort of scam company. I looked them up online and apparently this company charge people randomly for some sort of phantom service--no one really knew what they do. Anyway, I checked my transactions and one of the new services and companies on my statement is Vistaprint. I'm not saying they shared my information but I want to rule out all possible causes.

So, has anybody noticed anything unusual after ordering from Vistaprint?

Claudia
Collapse

Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:19
French to English
Good experience with VistaPrint May 21, 2008

All my business cards and brochures come from VistaPrint. Their quality and price are excellent and I would unhesitatingly recommend them. I have had no unauthorized repercussions from my orders. I suggest you ask them to investigate: as far as I know they are a reputable company and would want to know if someone is misusing their name.
Guy

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience May 21, 2008

I have ordered twice from Vistaprint and quality and price were ok, but the last time my order never arrived. I paid it in advance, so I tried to contact them many times and after 5 months (!) I got a feedback and eventually a refund.
They said they sent the Christmas cards I ordered, so it was a problem of delivery. Still, I got nothing.

Antonella

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
English to Italian
my experience May 21, 2008

Two months ago I ordered a set of business cards through the Vistaprint website, and after having placed the order I received an email from Vistaprint REWARDS which automatically enrolled me in some sort of unrequested program which would give me a bunch of discounts for movies and some other crap.

At first I thought it was the confirmation of my order but the fine print stated that if I hadn't canceled or unsubscribed from this service within 30 days they would have charged my cre
... See more
Two months ago I ordered a set of business cards through the Vistaprint website, and after having placed the order I received an email from Vistaprint REWARDS which automatically enrolled me in some sort of unrequested program which would give me a bunch of discounts for movies and some other crap.

At first I thought it was the confirmation of my order but the fine print stated that if I hadn't canceled or unsubscribed from this service within 30 days they would have charged my credit card. Basically they had automatically enrolled me in a free 30-day trial of their Rewards Program (which I still don't know what it really was and frankly speaking I don't care to know), but if I hadn't canceled it after 30 days, they would have charged my card.
So first of all I unsubscribed from this service and then I called their customer service complaining about this unwanted and unrequested enrollment in the program. I asked them to confirm me that I had totally canceled my subscription and they assured me that I was definitely unsubscribed.

So, beware when you order business cards from Vistaprint, maybe this is only for the US market, but after you place the order they first send you this email and after a while they send you the order confirmation. Check everything carefully or you will end up like Claudia, with an unwanted charge on your credit card. Refuse and cancel everything that you have NOT specifically ordered and that you don't want. In case of doubt (if you receive a similar email), contact their customer service and ask them to explain what it is. Of course they are going to tell you that it's a wonderful program which offers you hundreds of dollars in discounts and coupons, and bla, bla bla.

As for the business cards, I like them, especially the premium cards. If I had to find some faults about them, I'd say that the cards are just a tad smaller than the normal format, but hey, I ordered 250 premium cards for free, I only paid for the S&H ($ 6.95), so I can't be that picky, right?

[Edited at 2008-05-21 06:41]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
No problems May 21, 2008

I ordered business cards and address labels about 6 months ago. They arrived quickly, are good quality and as far as I remember I've never had any promotional spam from them since.

So maybe, as Liliana suggests, the rewards programme is limited to the US (I would have thought it would be against European law to do something of that kind, to be honest), or maybe it's a new development.

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
I regularly use Vistaprint May 21, 2008

for labels, business cards, stickers etc. Never had any problem with them.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
French to English
+ ...
Same as Liliana May 21, 2008

I experienced the same thing as Liliana when I ordered busness cards from them a couple of years ago. No problems with the cards, which are great, but I did get an e-mail soon after receipt of the cards about this reward scheme, which made me rather cross. I cancelled straightaway and I've never had any extraneous amounts taken out of my credit card, but I do regularly (at least one a day!) receive offers and spam from Vistaprint, which is pretty annoying. When I had Norton installed, I set it t... See more
I experienced the same thing as Liliana when I ordered busness cards from them a couple of years ago. No problems with the cards, which are great, but I did get an e-mail soon after receipt of the cards about this reward scheme, which made me rather cross. I cancelled straightaway and I've never had any extraneous amounts taken out of my credit card, but I do regularly (at least one a day!) receive offers and spam from Vistaprint, which is pretty annoying. When I had Norton installed, I set it to go straight into my Spam folder, but now I'm using Avast, I haven't worked out how to sift them out, so I just delete them immediately. As Liliana says, it's a small price to pay, though I wish I'd opted for the next level of cards up, which don't have the Vistaprint ad on the back....Collapse

Veronique Bodoutchian
Veronique Bodoutchian  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I use Vistaprint (US) all the time May 21, 2008

I am very happy with their products and service. The only time I had a little problem was two years ago when I was moving to a new place, the move was delayed and I had ordered a set of business cards. I didn´t get them on time, but I called them and they sent me a new set at no cost. I have ordered business cards, calendar magnets, labels and all kinds of things.

It is true though, that I read all the e-mails they send me (or other providers), just in case. I find their offers are
... See more
I am very happy with their products and service. The only time I had a little problem was two years ago when I was moving to a new place, the move was delayed and I had ordered a set of business cards. I didn´t get them on time, but I called them and they sent me a new set at no cost. I have ordered business cards, calendar magnets, labels and all kinds of things.

It is true though, that I read all the e-mails they send me (or other providers), just in case. I find their offers are a great value for money, specially if you compare prices in Europe. I only paid for the delivery of my business cards (with nothing on the back).
Collapse

Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
no problems except mass publicity May 21, 2008

Hi,
I too ordered some vistaprint business cards last year and no problems. I took advantage of an offer where they only charge one side of the card. Since then they have bombarded me with a lot of other offers by email. No problem similar to yours though.
I would ask the company to investigate, as far as I know, they are a reputable outfit.
Thanks,
Jason.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
opting out? May 21, 2008

I wonder if the bombardment is because none of you chose to opt out of receiving special offers and the like when you ordered? I do so routinely, so almost certainly would have done with VistaPrint too. (And I've just checked my trash - I haven't received any offers from them in the last couple of months, at least.)

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
English to Italian
opt out May 21, 2008

When you order through VP online, before you reach the checkout there's at least 10 pages you have to go through where they offer you all sorts of other thigns, from labels, to double your order, to sign up to receive emails from other vendors. I deflag them all (or I just press on "no thanks") until I reach the checkout. So far I haven't received any spam email from their affiliates. So you just have to have not 2, but 8 eyes when placing an order online.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
A lot of spam from Vistaprint May 21, 2008

I also get a lot of spam from this company, after ordering just one small thing, ages ago now, and I still get stuff in my inbox.

And the more I get, the less inclined I am to buy again. I'm not knocking their price or quality, just dubious marketing practices from a company that doesn't know when to stop.

So, if anyone from VP chances upon this post, take note: STOP!!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:19
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VistaPrint's Reward Programs May 21, 2008

Thank you all for your responses, particularly to Liliana because even though I had suspected VistaPrint, I didn't really think they had caused the problem. Actually it was my fault, because as Liliana said, after placing my order, I had to manually opt out from their many many partners, which was indeed a hassle and apparently I didn't do it right. As a result, I've been bombarded with emails and phone solicitors.

I called VistaPrint and they said that indeed, the unauthorized char
... See more
Thank you all for your responses, particularly to Liliana because even though I had suspected VistaPrint, I didn't really think they had caused the problem. Actually it was my fault, because as Liliana said, after placing my order, I had to manually opt out from their many many partners, which was indeed a hassle and apparently I didn't do it right. As a result, I've been bombarded with emails and phone solicitors.

I called VistaPrint and they said that indeed, the unauthorized charge came from one of their partners because I didn't really cancel whatever the hell I was enrolled into, even though I hadn't knowingly signed up for anything else. So, after a 24-minute phone call, I should be unsubscribed now, and they're gonna have to refund my bank because they refunded my money, but before that they had to cancel my credit card and issue a new one. Anyway, even though I liked their products, this type of business is unacceptable, I will think twice before placing any order with them.

About the emails that come from VistaPrint, I also received them massively, but there is an unsubscribe option at the bottom of their emails.

It's such a shame that a company with such great services and products is reduced this way because of the way they do business. It's just terrible marketing and so counterproductive. I thought you all should know.

Thanks again,

Claudia
Collapse

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
English to Italian
Colorful Images May 21, 2008

Just a little suggestion, to those who are unhappy with VistaPrint or who want to try something else. Check out this website:

http://www.colorfulimages.com/

I use it all the time to order my return address labels and stationery, and once in a while my business cards. The prices are higher than VP, you do not get many freebies as with VP, but their selection of labels is amazing a
... See more
Just a little suggestion, to those who are unhappy with VistaPrint or who want to try something else. Check out this website:

http://www.colorfulimages.com/

I use it all the time to order my return address labels and stationery, and once in a while my business cards. The prices are higher than VP, you do not get many freebies as with VP, but their selection of labels is amazing and their business cards, though not at the same par as VP, are beautiful. I have ordered a set of 250 cards 3 years ago and the quality of the cardboard is better than VP, the cards are larger (remember I was telling you that the VP cards are slightly smaller than normal?) and the colors are vibrant. Plus you don't get all the gimmicks of VP. It's very easy to use, prices are reasonable, so I give Colorful Images 2 thumbs up!

Just check it out if you like. Hope it helps
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
I had the same experience as Liliana May 21, 2008

And this applies both to unwanted "Rewards" program and having to jump through 10 unwanted pages before placing an order.

Still, I believe that the benefits outweigh the downsides. VP offers good quality for the money you pay. I'll use them again, just be very careful what you click on.

Thanks to Marie-Hélène for the "opt-out" suggestion. I'll definitely use it next time!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question for those who have ordered from Vistaprint

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »