Mobile menu

You can help in getting an outsourcer's job allotted much faster
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:12
English to Tamil
+ ...
May 22, 2008

Today morning I got this message at 08.49 hrs. Indian Standard Time through my profile page from a basic member:

"Will you be interested in translating a few documents from
Tamil-English? If so, what is your per word rate?
Pls reply asap as its quite urgent".

I replied as follows at 09.37 AM:

"Since you have contacted me through my profile page, there is no need for me to give details about my Tamil translation activities.

I charge 0.xx US dollar per word for English < > Tamil translations. Minimum billing will be for 200 words.

The word counting and invoicing will be done on the basis of the target file by making use of PractiCount & Invoice.

If you are interested, we can discuss further regarding other modalities of cooperation, such as payment terms and mode of payment. If you give me more details of the documents in your possession for translation, I will be able to discuss the delivery deadline. For translations into Tamil, I type in Unicode fonts such as Latha, Arial Unicode MS and TSCu_Paranar fonts.

In the absence of your contact details and verification of your id, I will be asking for upfront payment".

It worked like magic. I got this reply within the next few minutes (09.41 hrs.):

"Since that job has been allocated now, I will get in touch with you again later.

Really amazing. It is so easy to help others in allotting their jobs successfully.

Jokes aside, this raises some serious points. This is not the first time I get such messages. One person said that he was a platinum member but did not contact me after logging in. I had to use the search option in Proy to locate him as user. I located him as member but as ordinary member only. He too did not provide his contact details. I sent him a letter similar to the one above. In that I had also said that he was not a platinum member. Whereupon he indignantly informed me his user name, which is of course under platinum list. Even now he does not provide contact details. Just as the member mentioned earlier. The email id's used by them are free id's such as yahoo and gmail.

What is happening here?

N. raghavan

[Edited at 2008-05-22 04:36]

[Edited at 2008-05-22 04:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's happening May 22, 2008

Your idea of asking for up-front payment is excellent. That will scare them off right away, becayse what's happening is that they want to steal your work.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:42
English to French
+ ...
As stupid as I may sound... May 22, 2008

...I never thought of this strategy. I am usually more blunt than that when people "forget" to give me contact info (somewhere along the lines of "contact info is required before negotiating any further" past the second e-mail). Oh well - I just stuffed another trick up my sleeve!

Thanks, Narasimhan!

P.S.: I can't tell you what is going on here, but this seems to be turning into a pattern. All I can say is do not ever touch a file before you have complete, verifiable contact details. Better safe than sorry...

Ivana Friis Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:42
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
People are lazy May 22, 2008

I have also had a few similar requests, and being a newbie, I just accepted the work and luckily got paid. They were all end clients and the contact details came as soon as I showed myself willing to work. I think they were just being sloppy and forgot to say say who they were - and then remembered later.

I have also been contaced by agencies who never replied to me after I informed that I had checked them on the BB only to find negative entries and that my policy is to charge 50% upfront for agencies with negative BB entries...

It still amazes me how much scam there is in this business! I never would thought that translation was so dodgy

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:42
English to German
+ ...
No quote without full contact details May 22, 2008

Hi all,
I refuse to even quote an indication unless full business contact details are provided.

Best, Ralf

Stephanie Sirot  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:42
English to French
+ ...
The same for me May 22, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi all,
I refuse to even quote an indication unless full business contact details are provided.

Best, Ralf

I don't quote either when there are no contact info.

I think your reply was a very good one. It definitely helped you see who is serious and who is not.

I guess it was probably someone looking for cheap rates or free translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

You can help in getting an outsourcer's job allotted much faster

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs