https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/10551-how_to_charge_for_telephone_interpreting.html

How to charge for telephone interpreting?
Thread poster: A. Deb
A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2003

Hi everyone.

Can anyone give me any idea about how to charge for interpreting over the telephone? Does one charge per minute? Is a minimum fee usually established?

It\'d be grateful for any information.

Ana

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
Latvian to English
+ ...
Charge per minute Apr 28, 2003

In my experience, telephone interpreting is charged by the minute. (As a very rough guideline, 1 GBP per minute in the UK).

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:11
French to English
Per minute Apr 28, 2003

Hi Ana,

I do telephone interpreting and it is paid per minute with no minimum charge. A Canadian interpreting client I have pays $1.25 per minute (which works out to $75 per hour in Canadian dollars).

HTH,

Erika

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:11
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Per minute, but do not forget the minimum Apr 28, 2003

Hello,

If you stayed home for a telephonic interpretation appointment (let\'s say it was for the court) and the claimant never showed up, or they called you to cancel the appointment, you should still charge them for 1 hour minimum. At least this is my practice. If you interpret every day for an interpretation company, then they usually pay you per minute.

Monika

andre_
andre_
United States
Local time: 02:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would chage by the minute. May 16, 2003

Phone interpreting is charged by the minute. How much to charge? Well, this depends on you. If you are a starter then you should charge about 65 cents a minute. Once again, I should remind you: this is only my opinion. Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for telephone interpreting?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »