Mobile menu

ProZ mail - just hilarious!
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:20
English to French
+ ...
May 27, 2008

I got this in my mailbox this morning:

Hello,
I would like to know what your best rate is per word. We
are presently looking for freelance translators to join our
team as we have increased volume.


That's it. No explanation on who they are, no company name, no mention of the type of work they are looking to outsource, no signature - nothing. At least, they are asking for my best rate instead of suggesting one...

Could we have ProZ mail guidelines, please? I find that this type of message just pollutes my inbox. For all I know, this could be phishing. Needless to say, I didn't reply to it...

[Edited at 2008-05-27 22:34]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oh those ungrateful translators! May 27, 2008

Shouldn't you just be incredibly grateful that someone somewhere may someday need your services?


Although it would be desirable, I don't think it's that easy to monitor Proz mail (though I'm not the one to say). If it was, "Nigerian" scam emails and the like, sent through Proz, would have been taken care of long ago.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't get that many mails... May 27, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
I find that this type of message just pollutes my inbox.


I get very few mails via ProZ.com, so in my case there is hardly talk of "pollution". Do you get more than ten a day?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gemma Monco Waters  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:20
English to Italian
+ ...
It was me, Viktoria. Although on a diet, I have increased volume Gemma Monco Waters May 27, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I got this in my mailbox this morning:

Hello,
I would like to know what your best rate is per word. We
are presently looking for freelance translators to join our
team as we have increased volume.


That's it. No explanation on who they are, no company name, no mention of the type of work they are looking to outsource, no signature - nothing. At least, they are asking for my best rate instead of suggesting one...

Could we have ProZ mail guidelines, please? I find that this type of message just pollutes my inbox. For all I know, this could be phishing. Needless to say, I didn't reply to it...

[Edited at 2008-05-27 15:26]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contact information May 27, 2008

I'm sure we all get those emails from time to time. I'd say I get one of those every other month: request for all of your information and a quote, but all you have is a hotmail address.

I used to always reply asking for contact information before proceeding any further. Indeed, about 1 in 10 turned out good. Now, I really don't have time for such unprofessional emails. There are some very basic things one must do to be considered serious and professional.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
They just had a feijoada May 28, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I got this in my mailbox this morning:

Hello,
I would like to know what your best rate is per word. We
are presently looking for freelance translators to join our
team as we have increased volume.


That's it. No explanation...


One explanation could be that they had a Brazilian feijoada for lunch
See http://volunteerbrazil.com/brazilianfood.html
which increased their (belly) volume. Now they want more translators to join next time, so they won't overeat again. Rates are just a reference, to check the type of restaurant they'll choose, as prices can vary a lot.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

casey
United States
Local time: 22:20
Member
Japanese to English
Ten a day? Are you kidding? May 28, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
I find that this type of message just pollutes my inbox.


I get very few mails via ProZ.com, so in my case there is hardly talk of "pollution". Do you get more than ten a day?


I'd consider one a day pollution. I don't want to read e-mails like that. A waste of time is a waste of time.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:20
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Stay in touch and be nice May 28, 2008

I would reply with something along the lines of thanking them for their interest in your profile, that you are available to offer services in your specialised areas and that you have rates for different services, time scales etc. and that you would be delighted to hear more about their context.

Sales is a numbers game and in my experience it's not wise to jump to conclusions about people after initial contact on the internet.

Sure, their message is a bit dumb bit it's not enough to reject the contact IMHO

Stuart

[Edited at 2008-05-28 09:46]

[Edited at 2008-05-28 09:47]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:20
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Business May 28, 2008

I agree with Stuart that it's not a good idea to jump to conclusions - but in this case, I think it is. If someone uses the term "best rate" - which is basically agency slang - then they know more than enough about the industry. Therefore, they should also know how to put a basic prospection e-mail together.

The only factor mentioned in the e-mail is the rate - they are not interested in anything more. They did not even ask for my resume or information that would pertain to the type of texts they would need translated. They don't seem to care about quality, either (which means you can forget about sound rates as well).

What this message suggests to me is that many agencies seem to now think that translators are a penny a dozen, that is, the merchandise is not the translation anymore, but the translator himself. And I am unwilling to work with people who see me as a disposable good.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 04:20
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
delete/ignore Jun 4, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I agree with Stuart that it's not a good idea to jump to conclusions - but in this case, I think it is. If someone uses the term "best rate" - which is basically agency slang - then they know more than enough about the industry. Therefore, they should also know how to put a basic prospection e-mail together.

The only factor mentioned in the e-mail is the rate - they are not interested in anything more. They did not even ask for my resume or information that would pertain to the type of texts they would need translated. They don't seem to care about quality, either (which means you can forget about sound rates as well).

What this message suggests to me is that many agencies seem to now think that translators are a penny a dozen, that is, the merchandise is not the translation anymore, but the translator himself. And I am unwilling to work with people who see me as a disposable good.


Victoria - best of all, I think, is to delete or simply ignore such emails. Same like you delete dozens of spam letters daily.

Are people worth your time and attention if they cannot even introduce themselves decently ?


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ mail - just hilarious!

Advanced search


Translation news





Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs