How to get translations notary certified?
Thread poster: Natalya Boyce
Natalya Boyce
Natalya Boyce
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
English to Russian
+ ...
May 28, 2008

Dear All
Can anybody tell how I can get my translations notary certified in the United Kingdom. I have clients calling me and asking for notary-certified translations of diploma, birth or marriage certificate, etc.
Is it just going to the local notary office and to register with them as a translator? Will they easily register me? Or I have to obtain any other additional qualification here in the UK, so to be British accredited apart from my current Diploma in Linguistics issued in my
... See more
Dear All
Can anybody tell how I can get my translations notary certified in the United Kingdom. I have clients calling me and asking for notary-certified translations of diploma, birth or marriage certificate, etc.
Is it just going to the local notary office and to register with them as a translator? Will they easily register me? Or I have to obtain any other additional qualification here in the UK, so to be British accredited apart from my current Diploma in Linguistics issued in my own country.

Can anybody help with the advice, please!

Many thanks

Natalya
Collapse

Thorson
Thorson
Local time: 18:58
Danish to English
What country? May 28, 2008

What country are these clients in?

[Edited at 2008-05-28 21:32]

Natalya Boyce
Natalya Boyce
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In the UK May 29, 2008

The clients are in the UK too. They need to have different documents translated from their mother tongue into English and have them notary-certified.

Sarah Appleby (X)
Sarah Appleby (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
As far as I know... May 29, 2008

you just do this on a per-document basis in the UK (no particular qualification necessary). Call a local notary out of the Yellow Pages and make an appointment to notarise a translation. Then you simply take your passport along as proof of your native language and identity, they will get you to swear that the documents are a true translation (or similar) and the notary will then handle the rest for a moderate fee. Worth checking the fee when you ring up.

Note: I have not been throug
... See more
you just do this on a per-document basis in the UK (no particular qualification necessary). Call a local notary out of the Yellow Pages and make an appointment to notarise a translation. Then you simply take your passport along as proof of your native language and identity, they will get you to swear that the documents are a true translation (or similar) and the notary will then handle the rest for a moderate fee. Worth checking the fee when you ring up.

Note: I have not been through this process myself but know others who have.

Hope that helps!

[Edited at 2008-05-29 14:06]
Collapse

Natalya Boyce
Natalya Boyce
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! May 29, 2008

Sarah, this is really helpful, thank you so much for the detailed information. Now I will try and find the best notary office then!!!

Kind regards
Natalya

[Edited at 2008-05-29 14:44]

Sarah Appleby (X)
Sarah Appleby (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
No problem :) May 29, 2008

It goes without saying that you have to take the original text AND your translation along with you so the notary can see them (and so they can be stamped I guess).

[Edited at 2008-05-29 14:32]

Natalya Boyce
Natalya Boyce
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again May 29, 2008

I see now. I am actually familiar with the procedure as I did this in Russia, but I though it would be so different in the UK. It looks like it's all the same, which makes life much easier.

Have a nice day, Sarah! I do appreciate all your help in this matter.

Thanks a lot
Natalya

kissingsky
kissingsky
English to Punjabi
Notary Certified Translation Fee Nov 5, 2008

Hi,

I just want to know how much does it cost to get your translation (say birth or marriage certificate)certified by notary.

Thanks
Tarique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get translations notary certified?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »