How many words in an English line?
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 12:56
German to English
+ ...
May 7, 2003

This may have been asked before, but I wasn\'t able to find anything. I\'ve just translated a Tag Editor document which I will be charging by the line (customer request). I\'ve done a word count with Trados but am unsure how to convert this to lines (55 characters). I know there is a rule of thumb for German texts (7.5 words per line), but is there one for English? Thanks, Ian

Pee Eff (X)
Pee Eff (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Count the characters May 7, 2003

Hi!

Just perform a character count on your document. The analyze function in Trados should include such an option. Be sure to count charcters including spaces and divide the result by 55. This way you will get the famous German Standardzeile of 55 characters including blanks.

Good luck!

Patrick

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Word/line conversion May 7, 2003

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to use a word count as the basis for a line count? (I do the same when billing Powerpoint files, but it\'s not ideal.) Why not just use a line count? Count the total number of characters, then divide by 55. If your text contains tags, delete them - you can probably do that by a simple search and replace.

As to the actual number of words in a typical line, I\'m interested to hear what others say. I usually assume 6.5 for German and
... See more
Do you have a particular reason for wanting to use a word count as the basis for a line count? (I do the same when billing Powerpoint files, but it\'s not ideal.) Why not just use a line count? Count the total number of characters, then divide by 55. If your text contains tags, delete them - you can probably do that by a simple search and replace.

As to the actual number of words in a typical line, I\'m interested to hear what others say. I usually assume 6.5 for German and 8.5 for English, but this is based solely on my own statistical observations.

Marc

Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
60 characters May 7, 2003

Normally, one line equals 60 characters (spaces included). Sometimes 55, that is something you should talk about with your client.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Whoops! May 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-07 11:45, King Darling wrote:

Normally, one line equals 60 characters (spaces included). Sometimes 55

60 in Belgium. Usually 55 in Germany, though sometimes 50 or anything inbetween, for historical reasons.

Marc

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 7, 2003

Thanks guys,

Yes, I managed to do it with the analyse function - should have been able to figure that out myself.

By the way, the question wasn\'t how many characters make a line but rather how to get a line count when all you have is the number of words.

Sylvia Magotsch
Sylvia Magotsch
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TRADOS log contains length of words May 8, 2003

Hi Ian!

The TRADOS log contains (below the wordcount statistics) the average length of a word in characters. If you multiply this average length (say: 6.5 characters) with the wordcount (say 200 words) you get something very close to the total number of characters (without spaces, of course), in this case 1300 characters, which you may then divide by the number of characters you use to define a line (I use 50 characters per line if the wordcount does not contain spaces, and
... See more
Hi Ian!

The TRADOS log contains (below the wordcount statistics) the average length of a word in characters. If you multiply this average length (say: 6.5 characters) with the wordcount (say 200 words) you get something very close to the total number of characters (without spaces, of course), in this case 1300 characters, which you may then divide by the number of characters you use to define a line (I use 50 characters per line if the wordcount does not contain spaces, and 55 characters per line, if it does).

Does this help you in any way?

Kind regards

Sylvia
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
counting lines from a word count May 8, 2003

Ian,

I remember this was asked in the early days of the German forum about 2 years ago. Here\'s the ensuing thread:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic_id=493&forum_id=27

I think it\'s something like:

word count x 8.5 (or thereabouts) = line count

MM

Mary Georgina Hardinge
Mary Georgina Hardinge  Identity Verified
Spain
60 spaces = 10 words May 8, 2003

60 spaces = 10 words was the standard count for English back in the \'70s when typewriters were still manual

Regards

Gina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many words in an English line?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »