Mobile menu

Expenses for the self-employed in the UK
Thread poster: Dr. Andrew Frankland

Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
Member (2007)
+ ...
Jun 18, 2008

Here's a link that all UK-based freelancers should have a look at.


Direct link Reply with quote

Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
Member (2007)
English to French
I can recommend it Jun 18, 2008

I watched the programme yesterday and it was time very well spent indeed !


Direct link Reply with quote

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sounded great, until... Jun 18, 2008

Here's what it says:

"A new element is term 'fixed costs' and includes mortgage interest, council tax and home insurance.

(Wow, great, I thought! But then: )

HMRC are content to allow a proportion of these costs to be claimed against the income of the business if certain criteria are met, such as:

* The area of the home is used exclusively for business purposes for a prescribed amount of time - say, 9am to 5pm - this means that if you sit at the kitchen table working you won't qualify for the additional deductions. (So I suppose the kids coming home at 3 and me preparing dinner for them before 5 isn't allowed here) What the taxman is looking for is an area that has the appearance of an office - so it will contain a desk, chair, storage etc.

* The amount claimed is reasonable in relation to the business - so you can't claim that you work 20 hours a day in the office or that the area used is a large proportion of the living area of your home."

Ok then...

[Edited at 2008-06-18 09:32]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
Member (2010)
Italian to English
Great news Jun 18, 2008

This should definitely enable me to save some money. One of the rooms in our house is set aside as my designated office and we also have a large mortgage, so any savings I can make are more than welcome.

I am getting all my expense claims ready for my accountant at the moment, so I'll make sure I provide him with details of our mortgage, council tax and home insurance too.

Direct link Reply with quote

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Russian to English
+ ...
U.S. income tax is similar Jun 18, 2008

Not too many years ago claiming a home office was almost a guarantee of an audit by the tax man, but things have loosed up recently. They do expect us to have a dedicated space, but then we can use the percentage of floor space to calculate business deductions for mortgage interest or rent, utilities, home repairs, etc.

Direct link Reply with quote
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:28
French to English
See also Jun 18, 2008

Which is the section that the link from WL is under.
The other docs in that section also point elsewhere in the guidance.
I found the WL link made more sense, since it is giving examples, once you've read through the guidance itself.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expenses for the self-employed in the UK

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs