questions about paypal and moneybookers
Thread poster: norma lowery
norma lowery  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 29, 2008

i am new at this and i need some advice. i read some forum postings about paypal vs moneybookers and it seems to be a matter of opinion but my question is...what kind of account do i open? a business one? i went to the different web-sites in order to found out what the fees where but i am still confused. i am a words person not a numbers person. as i understand it there are fees for exchanging foreign currency. what other fees are involved? i don't need amounts just what can i be charge for? please help. i have some new clients and i am very confused about this.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivana Friis Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:37
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Premium account for Paypal Jun 29, 2008

With Paypal you need a Premium account if you expect to receive more than 5 or so payments.

Make sure that you don't receive large payments via Paypal - then it's expensive to draw money out of the account. Alternatively, you can use the money to pay with (instead of VISA or similar, lots of places accept it) and avoid the charges.

I have both, and as I understand it Moneybookers is the cheaper. I don't use my Moneybookers account much due to clients preferecne (Paypal).

Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Paypal Jun 29, 2008

You can receive a lot more than 5 payments (I don't know if there is a limit). The only limitation of the Personal account (which is basically free) is that you can receive only 5 payments with credit or debit card. You can receive payments directly from the sender's Paypal balance or e-check. If you have an account in the US, withdrawal is free to.
With a Personal account you cand send and receive for free.

Some things may be different if you have accounts in other countries, of course, read all the information first

Good luck!

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:37
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
PayPal better Jun 30, 2008

Why?

1. PayPal is known to many people (almost to anyone)
2. MB is known to less people (almost to no one, if compared to PayPal)
3. MB Customer Support is simply TERRIBLE - it would be a long sad story "How the Customer Support SHALL NOT WORK" (if you want to hear that) - if you want to have your MB account locked for no explanation (having used MB for years) and to wait till they AT LAST react to your emails and phonecalls (it usually takes them several weeks to make a simple thing), chose MB.

PayPal might be more expensive, but if you use it just for collection of small amounts (when someone, like a private person from the other side of the world asks to translate a page or two, and when a bank transfer is too expensive). MB is a typical "cheapie" with typical Customer Support of a "cheapie", and it total it is more expensive, let alone time wasted.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:37
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
In other countries Jun 30, 2008

In case of Thailand

PayPal:
1. You can pay/withdraw out of your local bank account.
2. Due to Thai foreign exchange issues, you better check the exchange rate for baht/USD before withdrawal. Local and oversea exchange rate may not be same. [I use both local + US bank account to withdraw.]
3. You pay much fee for large amout withdrawal.
4. You get spam on fraud of PayPal accounts. Be careful.

Moneybookers:
1. You need a complicate verification process before withdrawing to your local bank in a large amount e.g. USD 50,000.
2. You can use local bank account to pay/withdraw.
3. Fee is lower than PayPal's.
4. More clients use Moneybookers in recent days.
5. You get spam on fraud of Moneybookers accounts. Be careful.

Cheers,
Soonthon L.

Nick Golensky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
why not simply a debit / credit card? Jul 5, 2008

I'm completely new in it but I wonder why I should use Paypal or MB? Would you be so kind to explain it? Well, I have a debit card. Why can't I receive money transfer directly on my account but use some mediators?

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Wire transfers are sometimes expensive Jul 6, 2008

Nick Golensky wrote: Why can't I receive money transfer directly on my account but use some mediators?

Because if you do a job at say a min fee of EUR 30, some EU clients will find that to transfer the money to your account, they'll have to pay EUR 25 or even 35.

PayPal or Moneybookers are a good way to receive smaller amounts.

Cheers,
Oleg

Ivana Friis Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:37
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
See the money immediately Jul 6, 2008

You also see the money in you Paypal / Moneybookers account immediately and also it is a lot simpler for your client to pay you via Paypal / Moneybookers with a credit card or funds in their Paypal / Moneybookers account.

I also prefer traditional bank account transfers but recently a few agencies wanted me to pay their bank charges for the transfer so I suggested Paypal/ Moneybookers - no fee for them a tiny for me.

Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
thank you very much) Jul 7, 2008

Now I have got the point of PayPal and Moneybookers.

Speaking about PayPal, I wonder what account I should choose for my work as a freelancer.

1) Personal account
2) Premier account
3) Business account

Yes, there is much written about each of these, yet it’s not clear what difference it makes for my (our) occupation. I have already created a personal account keeping in mind the possibility of future upgrading but the question is whether I will need it.

Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
a very big problem Aug 15, 2008

OK, I linked my debit card to paypal, but now I have a different problem, more serious to my mind. Look what it wrote, when a person wanted to send me money:

"Currently PayPal accounts in Ukraine are only able to send payments. This recipient is not eligible to receive funds."

What does it mean I wonder?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

questions about paypal and moneybookers

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs