Terms and Conditions: Do any of you create your own?
Thread poster: Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2008

Hello,

I am wondering if any freelance translators out there have created their own terms and conditions for use with their freelance clients? I am contemplating doing this and incorporating it into my emails and all transactions and paperwork. What do you feel is the feasibility of this? Would it be effective?

Thanks,
Rebecca

cniederalt
cniederalt
Germany
Local time: 23:10
German to English
+ ...
Works fine for me Jul 2, 2008

I did it using a template provided by the BDÜ (German translators association) and modified it to my requirements. I had it checked by a lawyer. Now, I reference it in and attach it to every quote I send out and ask the customer to reference either my terms or my quote in their order. Works fine for me.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
yes we do... Jul 2, 2008

rebeccalyne wrote:

Hello,

I am wondering if any freelance translators out there have created their own terms and conditions for use with their freelance clients? I am contemplating doing this and incorporating it into my emails and all transactions and paperwork. What do you feel is the feasibility of this? Would it be effective?

Thanks,
Rebecca

A freelancing client always gets a DIN standard contract from us. Upon agreeing to the terms and conditions and a sometimes also a retainer we execute the project. Brandis

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
How about inventing the wheel? Jul 2, 2008

rebeccalyne wrote:
Would it be effective?

Why would you do that? Generations of lawyers and business(wo)men have worked on this topic and there are a lot of good and waterproof solutions.

Unless you know some hidden secrets of law, stay away.

Best regards
Hans

Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why not? Jul 2, 2008

Hans,

So you don't use terms and conditions in your quotes and paperwork to protect your interests as a freelancer? Can you explain?

Thanks,
Rebecca

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
They make uninteresting clients walk away Jul 2, 2008

My standard payment term is two weeks, and I don't take any job where the payment is set for beyond 30 days from delivery with invoice.

This makes some clients, mostly outsourcers who are trying to build cash flow at my expense, walk away. It's all right! According to my mission statement, I'm a translator, not a bank.

On the other hand, my extended satisfaction warranty often goes beyond the client's expectations. Now and then - after the job is finished, delivered, an
... See more
My standard payment term is two weeks, and I don't take any job where the payment is set for beyond 30 days from delivery with invoice.

This makes some clients, mostly outsourcers who are trying to build cash flow at my expense, walk away. It's all right! According to my mission statement, I'm a translator, not a bank.

On the other hand, my extended satisfaction warranty often goes beyond the client's expectations. Now and then - after the job is finished, delivered, and fully paid - some clients candidly ask me "How much would it cost to...?". If it's minor work - and in most cases it actually is; the client just doesn't have the proper software or the knowledge to use it - my usual answer is "Nothing!"
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:10
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Jul 2, 2008

Yes, I include brief terms and conditions on my invoices concerning terms of payment (never more than 30 days net) and time limit for complaints (which I say must be verifiable, etc.).
I could send you these terms if you'd like to contact me personally, but they're nothing exceptional.
Does this equate to reinventing the wheel? I don't quite understand that allusion.
As to whether including terms and conditons makes any difference, I don't know, but it surely looks businesslike
... See more
Yes, I include brief terms and conditions on my invoices concerning terms of payment (never more than 30 days net) and time limit for complaints (which I say must be verifiable, etc.).
I could send you these terms if you'd like to contact me personally, but they're nothing exceptional.
Does this equate to reinventing the wheel? I don't quite understand that allusion.
As to whether including terms and conditons makes any difference, I don't know, but it surely looks businesslike.
I suppose a dishonest client who had no intention of paying wouldn't give a damn about anyone's terms and conditions, but I believe such clients to be the minority.
Best wishes, Rebecca,
Jenny
Collapse

Stephanie Sirot (X)
Stephanie Sirot (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:10
English to French
+ ...
Yes Jul 2, 2008

The same for me. I created my own terms and conditions, based on standard practices in British-Columbia (Canada) and had a lawyer look at them, to make sure everything was OK. All my clients have to sign an agreement. So far, I have never had a problem whatsoever.

All translators should have a document of this kind. Not only it is more professional, but it will help in case of dispute or non-payment.

Stephanie.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terms and Conditions: Do any of you create your own?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »