https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/10929-rates%3A_does_this_letter_deserve_an_answer.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Rates: Does this letter deserve an answer?
Thread poster: mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 12, 2003

Yesterday I wrote an e-mail to a person who posted a bid here in ProZ.com (http://www.proz.com/job?id=36195). The page said the price had to be \'discussed\'.

Read the answer I got:

Dear Translator

Thankyou so much for replying!

We have 1 million words and we need to deliver on May 24th the latest, the deadline is NOT NEGOTIABLE. We are not looking for native eng
... See more
Yesterday I wrote an e-mail to a person who posted a bid here in ProZ.com (http://www.proz.com/job?id=36195). The page said the price had to be \'discussed\'.

Read the answer I got:

Dear Translator

Thankyou so much for replying!

We have 1 million words and we need to deliver on May 24th the latest, the deadline is NOT NEGOTIABLE. We are not looking for native english speaker, but with acceptable quality. We will need a team of translators, so we can give 40,000 - 50,0000 words to

each translator. To avoid working with several translators and creating a mess, we can only give batches of 45,000 - 50,000 words per translator, no less, but of course, a lot more if you have the

capability.

We are doing this into several languages, and need to offer our client a large volume discount. Payment is 0.02 USD.

Transit, the software, is REQUIRED for this project.

It\'s a free program that you can download from the

internet. We will provide all the instructions for it\'s use, the place where you can download it from, as well as all the necesary instructions. There will be

several sentences and many times, several pages repeteating.

If you agree with our terms, and are interested in going to the second stage (we will provide you a sample of the material, for reference only, you don´t need to translate it), please reply ASAP and let me

know.

I hope to hear from you soon! The project has already started. All the instructions will be given for the use of the software and other instructions.

Kind regards

[ This Message was edited by: alfpach on 2003-05-12 13:14]
Collapse

Silvina Dell'Isola Urdiales
Silvina Dell'Isola Urdiales  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:04
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
No comment May 12, 2003

No comment, just decline!

silvina

MJ Barber
MJ Barber  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think so May 12, 2003

I think you should reply and tell him what a cheapskate he is, in your own words of course.

Here is another job he has posted recently:

http://www.proz.com/job/36194

Also note that he wants NON-native translators, preferably from Latin America.

This guy is famous. One of our colleagues here had a bit of a run in with him recently, where
... See more
I think you should reply and tell him what a cheapskate he is, in your own words of course.

Here is another job he has posted recently:

http://www.proz.com/job/36194

Also note that he wants NON-native translators, preferably from Latin America.

This guy is famous. One of our colleagues here had a bit of a run in with him recently, where she replied to a letter such as the one quoted from here. He told her that he could get lots of GOOD South American translators, who would be happy to work for his one or two cents a word.

He is going to find his translators, although I very much doubt they will be good, but I think we should all make our dissatisfaction known with this type of cheapskate.

My tuppence, MJ
Collapse

Jeannie Graham
Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:04
German to English
+ ...
it will keep you busy May 12, 2003

If you want to be kept busy working on 3-4 K words a day for just over 1 pence (UK ) a word then answer - but you will be blocking yourself for other potential projects where you would earn a decent rate with less time pressure. The way I look at it is that you could take on a normally paid project that took say two or three days to complete and earn the same as working on this for eleven days.

The choice is entirely yours, but personally I would not even look twice at something like t
... See more
If you want to be kept busy working on 3-4 K words a day for just over 1 pence (UK ) a word then answer - but you will be blocking yourself for other potential projects where you would earn a decent rate with less time pressure. The way I look at it is that you could take on a normally paid project that took say two or three days to complete and earn the same as working on this for eleven days.

The choice is entirely yours, but personally I would not even look twice at something like this.

Jeannie
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
no May 12, 2003

If you mean is it worth pointing out to the poster that the rate is a mere pittance, then no, don\'t bother. He already knows. All you\'ll get is a rude answer in return (I speak from experience). From what I\'ve seen, this is this individual\'s usual M.O.--post a job saying the price is \"to be discussed,\" then send out the e-mail with further details, including the abysmal rate (I was offered the princely sum of 3 cents a word for a very specialized Spanish>English insurance job).
... See more
If you mean is it worth pointing out to the poster that the rate is a mere pittance, then no, don\'t bother. He already knows. All you\'ll get is a rude answer in return (I speak from experience). From what I\'ve seen, this is this individual\'s usual M.O.--post a job saying the price is \"to be discussed,\" then send out the e-mail with further details, including the abysmal rate (I was offered the princely sum of 3 cents a word for a very specialized Spanish>English insurance job).

Apparently, though, there are \"excellent translators in Latin America\" who find this rate quite acceptable--or so this guy told me. Must be true since this other job posting by the same person says that translators from Latin America are preferred: http://www.proz.com/job/36194
Collapse

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
it does May 12, 2003

Forty to fifty thousand words per translator?

Almost 15 pages a day

Working non-stop for 11 days

At 0.02 cents per word

I think you do need to reply to them and tell them that perhaps quality isn\'t important for them but it is for you, right?

Pamela

Ino66 (X)
Ino66 (X)
English to Greek
+ ...
no, nope, no-can-do May 12, 2003

Agree with previous comments. Been there, haven\'t done that, refused to do that. Unless you have time to kill for less than pittance, stay away.

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A waste of time. May 12, 2003

I must say that when I read this job posting, I immediately suspected something fishy when they mentioned that they weren\'t looking for native translators.

If I were you, I\'d invest my time in something more worthwhile.

Good luck.

Ana

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just pray... May 12, 2003

that you won\'t be asked to edit some of this translation from one of your best customers... unless you are paid by the hour.

And don\'t waste your precious time replying to such a proposal!

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Totally misleading... May 12, 2003

I answered the job posting, got the same answer and then things changed: nothing to be discussed about the price and the translation is INTO English... Come on!

Un saludo,

P.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Really makes you wonder... May 12, 2003

what the final client thinks. I really can\'t imagine a client coming up and saying \"Hey, I have this document... about a million words. I need it translated, but it really doesn\'t have to make that much sense. Thanks in advance.\"

And all the agency is doing is portraying itself as unprofessional (the quality\'s not good, but it\'ll do).

If the client were really of that mindset, you\'d think it\'d turn to automatic translation.

SimplyMe (X)
SimplyMe (X)
English to German
Just stop it. May 12, 2003

Just stop this idiotic kind of postings.

It\'s more than annoying.

If you don\'t like a job - simply don\'t apply for.

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, pals, I agree with you May 12, 2003

My question was sort of ironic. Does he deserve my devoting even a second to reply NOOOOOO!?

Of course, this is kind of slavish work, ain\'t it?

I\'d rather stay knitting or watering my plants...

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Why? May 12, 2003

Why not post a \"heads up\" on something that is misleading for the benefit of other translators? Nowhere in the original job posting was it stated that the rate was 0.02 a word. It said \"negotiable\". Letting others know what the rate actually is will ultimately save time for both the (potential) applicant and the outsourcer.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-05-12 14:32, SimplyMe wrote:

... See more
Why not post a \"heads up\" on something that is misleading for the benefit of other translators? Nowhere in the original job posting was it stated that the rate was 0.02 a word. It said \"negotiable\". Letting others know what the rate actually is will ultimately save time for both the (potential) applicant and the outsourcer.

R.

==

Quote:

Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Keep it friendly, please. May 12, 2003

Quote:

Most topics are always of concern to someone.

Thanks for your understanding,

Evert Deloof-Sys
[addsig]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates: Does this letter deserve an answer?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »