Mobile menu

Avoiding multilingual gaffes
Thread poster: Richard Bartholomew

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:34
Member (2007)
German to English
Jul 16, 2008

Check out the article at . Does the author mention any multilingual gaffes that you haven't already heard? I particularly enjoyed " antipsychotic medication that translated to "dogs are afraid of me" in Mandarin."

Has anyone here ever warned a customer about the "unintended connotations" of a marketing phrase or name? If so, would you care to share?

Direct link Reply with quote

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:34
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Politics in advertising Jul 16, 2008

I noticed once on a potential client's English-language website, the slogan "Take a step to the right." When I pointed out the political connotations, and suggested that they meant something like "take a step forward" or "make the right move," that was the last I ever heard from them, although I had done a sample editing job, they had seemingly approved my rates, and we had had quite a bit of back-and-forth email. Perhaps they were offended. I notice the English-language website now no longer exits. (I also notice the company is now advertising for translators at a much lower rate than mine, however.)

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Avoiding multilingual gaffes

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs