Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:42
English to French
+ ...
Jul 16, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I recently read a great article on technical translation and I felt like sharing it with you since it mainly discusses how much more there is to translation than most clients would think. It could be great reference material and guidance when you feel your clients don't quite understand what you do for them and what your work entails (it can also help justify the rates you charge). This article deals with technical translation, but I find it can just as well apply t
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I recently read a great article on technical translation and I felt like sharing it with you since it mainly discusses how much more there is to translation than most clients would think. It could be great reference material and guidance when you feel your clients don't quite understand what you do for them and what your work entails (it can also help justify the rates you charge). This article deals with technical translation, but I find it can just as well apply to other fields in translation.

Technical Translation: Craft, Not Commodity by Louis M. Cardillo
http://www.stc.org/intercom/PDFs/2004/200405_12-13.pdf

Happy reading!

P.S.: I would be happy to read your comments and anything you would like to add.
Collapse

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:42
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree Jul 16, 2008

Hi Viktoria

yes, I read the article you quote some months ago and found really interesting.

Still, I think it will be hard to educate certain clients not to consider translation as a commodity:(

Bests

Antonella

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hard, but not impossible Jul 16, 2008

Yes, it is true that some clients just don't care, don't realize how important it is for them as well or refuse to admit you work hard because that would justify a higher rate. Still, you can use such information in different situations to contribute personally to client education.

Posting this and talking about it will not solve any such problems. But simply sharing it gives a little more determination to some, and this information could help those who are just starting out to do t
... See more
Yes, it is true that some clients just don't care, don't realize how important it is for them as well or refuse to admit you work hard because that would justify a higher rate. Still, you can use such information in different situations to contribute personally to client education.

Posting this and talking about it will not solve any such problems. But simply sharing it gives a little more determination to some, and this information could help those who are just starting out to do things right from the beginning.

Besides, not all agencies/outsourcers/clients are bad, and many of them are open to be educated. But if nobody takes care of them, they will never learn.
Collapse

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Of course Jul 17, 2008

Not every client is the same.

I already started some time ago to try to educate some of them by adding some documents downloadable from a page in the Italian version of my website (http://www.antotranslation.com/ita_htm/agenziatraduzioni.asp).

Antonella

Galina F
Galina F
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Jul 17, 2008

Hi, Viktoria,
Thank you for sharing this article. It is a good idea and not impossible as you noticed. But it's a bit risky for me right now... I might not use it at present but it will help to move in a right way, to grow and to hopefully help my clients to "grow" with me.
Have a good day.

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Thank you Jul 17, 2008

Hi Viktoria,

I wanted to say "thank you", but not just for this post. In an environment where most of us have a strong tendency to moan, one can only praise the effort that people like you make to offer information.

It´s an interesting article, by the way.

Regards

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad you like it Jul 18, 2008

I am happy that some of you found this article useful.

What I like about it is that it mentions, among other things, that test translations are normally paid for. Funny, on translation portals, it really looks like we are expected to do test translations free, whereas pretty much all serious articles in reliable publications will state that translation tests are supposed to be paid. I think it is important that our colleagues take note of this. And it is but one example. We get suck
... See more
I am happy that some of you found this article useful.

What I like about it is that it mentions, among other things, that test translations are normally paid for. Funny, on translation portals, it really looks like we are expected to do test translations free, whereas pretty much all serious articles in reliable publications will state that translation tests are supposed to be paid. I think it is important that our colleagues take note of this. And it is but one example. We get suckered into "standards" so easily on portals like this one (90-day payment terms, covering wire transfer fees, taking all the blame for an unproofed translation, doing three-page test translations being acceptable, and the list goes on) - it can only help to see the general situation that includes the whole of the industry. It is especially useful to our more unfortunate colleagues who are students, newbies or who work in rare language pairs in isolated environments.

People need to know what's out there. When I find such information, I am happy to share it. And I will keep doing so. I hope you will, too.
Collapse

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In a similar vein Jul 19, 2008

Thanks, Viktoria

In a similar vein -- Translation: Buying a Non-Commodity, available for download on the FIT Europe website (http://fit-europe.org/brochures-en.html)

Have a good week-end!

Patricia

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Geez, I wasn't aware Jul 20, 2008

Hey, thanks for that nice one, Patricia! I wasn't aware of it.

It is crisp, simple, to the point - the kind I like. It does a great job of explaining the difference between a commodity and translation services. I am adding it to my virtual library!

Thanks, Patricia!

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
You're welcome! Jul 20, 2008

You're welcome, Viktoria! A French version is in the finalization stages. Check the SFT and/or FIT-Europe websites from time to time -- it should be uploaded in the not too distant future.

Cheers,
Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have your clients appreciate the work you do

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »