Mobile menu

Off topic: Translate more for less!
Thread poster: casey

casey
United States
Local time: 05:48
Japanese to English
Jul 18, 2008

This was a fitting subject to an advertisement e-mail I received from Trados today.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 11:48
English to German
+ ...
very interesting. it should be reading Jul 18, 2008

casey wrote:

This was a fitting subject to an advertisement e-mail I received from Trados today.
.. Translate more for more!!!. Brandis

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I know which one you mean Jul 18, 2008

I was waiting all day to see if any of our forum contributors would pick it up...

This is really becoming shameless now. They are not even being subtle anymore. Meanwhile, I refuse to offer Trados rebates - and so should you. It is the only solution we have, but if used consistently, it will work.

On a sidenote, once you've bought SDL Trados, you cannot get rid of it. The licence stipulates that you cannot transfer your licence to anybody, which means you are not allowed to sell it. Which results in more licenses gathering dust on the shelves of those who decided Trados was not good enough for their business - and more licences sold for SDL. Not hard to figure out...

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bombarded with Trados promotional ads and proposars... Jul 18, 2008

...and delete them systematically without opening them. I don't want any special campaign or discount: I want cheaper update licenses!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:48
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
I received it too Jul 18, 2008

But this email looked different than previous emails. First, the format was all text not HTML. But most important, the domain is different: LSPZone (rather than Translation Zone) . It seems that the email was design to attract Language Service Providers so they can pay us less. They use a different speech with us: efficiency they say.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Bombarded with spam? Jul 18, 2008

I'm not getting any spam from Trados. But then, I've actually told them to leave me alone. Maybe you should, too?

HTH,
Benjamin

Ivana Friis Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:48
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
This is why Jul 18, 2008

- I refuse to buy Trados! The product has absolutely no benefit for the translator, only the agency.

The spam you all received is quite worrying, I think.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Checkbox marked but.... Jul 18, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

I'm not getting any spam from Trados. But then, I've actually told them to leave me alone. Maybe you should, too?

Thanks for the hint Benjamin. I just checked my profile and the checkbox is marked. But I keep receiving messages.... I am discussing this with my Trados representative here in Spain.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados... probably not for your case Jul 18, 2008

Ivana Friis Wilson wrote:
- I refuse to buy Trados! The product has absolutely no benefit for the translator, only the agency.

I honestly think that Trados is not for your type of business or the type of jobs you do. That's probably why you dislike the idea of using it and can't see its benefits to your business.

For the type of jobs I do (medium-to-large, terminology-specific jobs about similar products along time)... it's simply a must. My jobs would not exist if translation memories hadn't been invented. Manufacturers would translate the manuals once every 5 years (or never), not every year or several times a year.

Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
Trados really "a must"? Jul 18, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

... it's simply a must.

Of course it is not a must, there are some other great yet cheaper or free CAT tools. What about Wordfast, OmegaT? And no spam from them

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation memories, a must in some types of work Jul 18, 2008

Nataša Čubrilović wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
... it's simply a must.

Of course it is not a must, there are some other great yet cheaper or free CAT tools. What about Wordfast, OmegaT? And no spam from them

Of course Nataša. You are absolutely right. In my case Trados is a must as my main customers ask me to use it...

Ivana Friis Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:48
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Cat tool Jul 18, 2008

Tomás, I do use a CAT tool (Metatexis) and my point is just that Trados seems to be designed with the agency in mind, not the freelancer. I mean, just the price!

You are really talking of translation memory- most CAT tools have a translation memory - isn't that kind of the point?

Metatexis is light weigth, has all the functions I need, very easy to learn (just do it!), I don't get any spam and it's cheap.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
The must is a TMX-compliant CAT tool - not Trados Jul 18, 2008

Well, it seems like SDL's crusade scheme is working...

Most any job that requires the production of translation memory files can be done using any CAT tool that is TMX-compliant. Therefore, Trados is not a must. As long as your CAT tool can handle translation memories that are compatible with Trados, you can use any CAT tool you like. Many of them are easier to learn, much less buggy and much cheaper.

As for client asking for Trados - they are only asking for it becuase of the same misconception. There are agencies and agencies. Not all are as competent as one would expect - and many think that the only CAT tool on the translator's end able to produce Trados compatible TMs is Trados. They are dead wrong - just like many a freelancer.

The bottom line is you don't need Trados - you just need a TMX-compatible CAT tool. Happy shopping!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate more for less!

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs