https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/110584-what_is_the_next_best_thing_to_trados.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
What is the next best thing to Trados?
Thread poster: Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2008

Hi all,

I have lost 2 project in recent days due to not having Trados.

What in your opinion is the next best solution?

Is there a competitor to Trados that would satisfy a Trados requirement for a job?

Thanks!!!

Rebecca

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:29
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 SP2 Jul 19, 2008

If you already lost projects due to not having this software, there is no reason for any further delay. Look for the best offer you can get (quite often here on ProZ as TGB) and invest some money in your future.
And please, don't come with "it is so expensive"...
This is an investment and not a piece of clothing or so. You will use it on long term basis - and so it is cheaper than smoking

Even if some pe
... See more
If you already lost projects due to not having this software, there is no reason for any further delay. Look for the best offer you can get (quite often here on ProZ as TGB) and invest some money in your future.
This is an investment and not a piece of clothing or so. You will use it on long term basis - and so it is cheaper than smoking

Even if some people may state there are "compatible" tools, the truth is, that most of them still use Trados for pre/post processing their jobs. A 100% compatibility does not exist.

Best regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2008-07-19 20:05]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Metatexis Jul 19, 2008

It does everything what Trados does; you can also import/export files from/to Trados so your clients are always happy. Download the light (free) version to check.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:29
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Good agencies provide the software at no charge Jul 19, 2008

I don't own any CAT tools and I am not planning on buying any. However, if desired by the client I happily work with SDLX, Idiom Workbench, Lingobit Localizer and what not.

Once you have figured out how such tools work, it's easy, and being able to use your own TM can be a pleasure. At times. Other than that, pre-chewed sentences are rather slowing me down in my field of work.

As long as you show your willingness to work with CAT tools (the software provided at no char
... See more
I don't own any CAT tools and I am not planning on buying any. However, if desired by the client I happily work with SDLX, Idiom Workbench, Lingobit Localizer and what not.

Once you have figured out how such tools work, it's easy, and being able to use your own TM can be a pleasure. At times. Other than that, pre-chewed sentences are rather slowing me down in my field of work.

As long as you show your willingness to work with CAT tools (the software provided at no charge, of course) you will not lose any jobs.

If an agency wants you to invest about $1000 out of YOUR pocket for their own benefit, then there's something wrong with this picture.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why this picture? Jul 19, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:
If an agency wants you to invest about $1000 out of YOUR pocket for their own benefit, then there's something wrong with this picture.

Why do you only see the benefit on agencys side? Is there no benefit for the translator?
At least in my eyes the translator is than doing something wrong. CAT is designed in first line to give benefit to the translator, who than may or may not give something from his/her benefit to his/her customers.

Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't agree... Jul 19, 2008

Jerzy,

You said....
This is an investment and not a piece of clothing or so.

***I have to disagree. Cost is a factor. Trados is expensive. Depending on time of year, whether clients pay on time or not...this is a factor. I am still building my business.

"Even if some people may state there are "compatible" tools, the truth is, that most of them still use Trados for
... See more
Jerzy,

You said....
This is an investment and not a piece of clothing or so.

***I have to disagree. Cost is a factor. Trados is expensive. Depending on time of year, whether clients pay on time or not...this is a factor. I am still building my business.

"Even if some people may state there are "compatible" tools, the truth is, that most of them still use Trados for pre/post processing their jobs. A 100% compatibility does not exist."

*** Yes, but you are a heavy Trados user and a moderator of Proz. It is my understanding that Proz and Trados have a mutual advertising agreement, at least based on each company website.;-)

Thanks!
Rebecca
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:29
Spanish
+ ...
Metatexis Jul 19, 2008

I agree with Natalie, Metatexis is a great--and cheap or free-- CAT tool, it has THE best CAT tool manual in my humble opinion and is really easy to use. Most agencies require Trados because they want the bilingual files back so they can add the segments to their TMs. Metatexis, and pretty much every other CAT tool out there, can produce Trados bilingual and TMX files. As... See more
I agree with Natalie, Metatexis is a great--and cheap or free-- CAT tool, it has THE best CAT tool manual in my humble opinion and is really easy to use. Most agencies require Trados because they want the bilingual files back so they can add the segments to their TMs. Metatexis, and pretty much every other CAT tool out there, can produce Trados bilingual and TMX files. Ask them why they want Trados in particular, most agencies are OK if you use a different CAT tool.

However, you should be straight-forward with your client from the beginning. Like Jerzy said, CAT tools are not 100% compatible with each other, so there's always some sort of file-conversion involved. And whole process can get tedious over time.

Some clients might, in fact, have real reasons for which they request Trados specifically. For instance, some agencies might send you the Trados TM files directly. Of course, they can also be exported as standard TMX files so they can be used by other tools; but of course that takes time and some project managers don't like that. They might also want you to use Trados' TagEditor so they can send you adefinition .itd file to be used with tagged files. Another reason is that you might need to use remote servers or Trados' GXT. Although that doesn't happen very often, only two or three of my clients have used Trados' remote servers and only one uses GXT.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:29
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
If the use of a particular software is a criterion Jul 19, 2008

Then there's something wrong.

Of course, the software does benefit the translator, as long as the translator doesn't agree to any discounts.

When choosing the right translator, the criteria should be: quality, experience, knowledge, IQ, style.

Certainly not the brand of the software used.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I agree, I am "heavy" user of Trados Jul 19, 2008

But I would never become one if I would not benefit from it.
Put in other dimensions: a laptop is expensive, but you will consider buying one, if you need it.
A good printer (colour laser) may also be a bit more expensive than an inkjet one, but if you consider the follow-up cost, you will buy one.
A car is expensive to, but if you need to move around, you will buy one. And use it not just fo one single travel...

Instead of seeing ProZ so narrow as a place, where
... See more
Put in other dimensions: a laptop is expensive, but you will consider buying one, if you need it.
A good printer (colour laser) may also be a bit more expensive than an inkjet one, but if you consider the follow-up cost, you will buy one.
A car is expensive to, but if you need to move around, you will buy one. And use it not just fo one single travel...

Instead of seeing ProZ so narrow as a place, where Trados advertises its products, tka ethe value ProZ gives to you. Use the experience of other people and don't repeat their mistakes.
See your job as a whole, not just a narrow part of it.
I agree, the software is not "cheap" (if we please can define what is cheap?), but still you do not buy it just for one single job. And if you use it for longer, it pays for itself.

And what is wrong in setting a certain software as criterion? What is wrong, if customer uses QuarkXpress? If you want a job in Quark, you will need to have it.
Of course if you limit yourself to Word jobs, than you don't need Trados.
But Word is not the whole world, what seems to be often forgotten here.
Collapse

Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
agree to disagree Jul 19, 2008

**** I don't know of many situations where I would be denied a job for owing a PC instead. If a laptop is needed, most companies provide them.

****Maybe, but I could use pu
... See more

**** I don't know of many situations where I would be denied a job for owing a PC instead. If a laptop is needed, most companies provide them.

****Maybe, but I could use public transport (freeware) or buy a used car. In the case of the Trados issues, there seems to be no such equivalents as the road (the agency) is dictating what I drive.

Instead of seeing ProZ so narrow as a place, where Trados advertises its products, tka ethe value ProZ gives to you. Use the experience of other people and don't repeat their mistakes.

*** sorry, but the discounts are not that enticing.They don't make a dent.

We agree to disagree....
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Jerzy Jul 19, 2008

In fact, the clients don't need anyone to own Trados. The clients need you:
- to deliver a bilingual file - Metatexis allows you to do this;
- to use the client's TM - Metatexis allows you to do this;
- to use the client's glossary or to create a new one - Metatexis allows you to do this.

It allows you translating the file in Word, Excle, Powerpoint and many other formats, including html, xml etc etc. Moreover, it is very user-friendly, and - most important! - you
... See more
In fact, the clients don't need anyone to own Trados. The clients need you:
- to deliver a bilingual file - Metatexis allows you to do this;
- to use the client's TM - Metatexis allows you to do this;
- to use the client's glossary or to create a new one - Metatexis allows you to do this.

It allows you translating the file in Word, Excle, Powerpoint and many other formats, including html, xml etc etc. Moreover, it is very user-friendly, and - most important! - you can always count on Hermann's help, if needed.

Note, that ALL my clients are aware that I have no Trados, and I have NEVER had ANY complaints that something was wrong. So Trados is absolutely NOT a must.
Collapse

Rebecca Lyne
Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks natalie! Jul 19, 2008

Thanks Natalie!

That is very encouraging!

Cheers,
Rebecca

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Of course you don't have to own Trados Jul 19, 2008

if you wanna limit you to be just a supplier for translation agencies, who do all other things for you.
In such case all my arguments are meaningles. Similar to a car - just buy what you like. User or unused, doesn't matter.
But if you want to provide more than this, you will need to make a step forward. So simple a car will not be enough to use it as a taxi. You will need at least one with four doors.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
And if you spend a lot of money... Jul 19, 2008

.... Bye the best alternativ.

DejaVu X

http://atril.com/
Now 15% discount

A very big point for Atril is that (AFAIK) all updates are for FREE!

With Trados you have to pay for new releases, in 10 years could be 5.000 € , or so it is easy to calculate how much has paid a translator that st
... See more
.... Bye the best alternativ.

DejaVu X

http://atril.com/
Now 15% discount

A very big point for Atril is that (AFAIK) all updates are for FREE!

With Trados you have to pay for new releases, in 10 years could be 5.000 € , or so it is easy to calculate how much has paid a translator that started, for example, with Trados 5 till now.

If you have not to work with to much formats, Wordfast is good too.

And, try all the alternatives before. Some people prefer Trados, other Wordfast, and DVX users are very happy with this software. Just take your time, it is a lot of money.

Regards

Fernando
www.lenguatik.com
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry? Jul 19, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

if you wanna limit you to be just a supplier for translation agencies, who do all other things for you.

Jerzy, could you please clarify this conception - I don't understand what do you mean, especially the words "who do all other things for you".

Thanks.

[Edited at 2008-07-19 22:22]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the next best thing to Trados?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »