Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:10
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
So, he declared bankruptcy Jul 29, 2008

Gábor Széles wrote:

Yes,I have everything on paper.(including payment,but not with a dog,but with cash,namely pound sterlings...but the person who ordered the translation declared that (at least officially) he went bankrupt,and told me that sorry,I am unable to pay you.

In that case, check out the current bankruptcy procedures in Hungary. I assume the client is registered as a business in Hungary (although then I don't understand the payment in pound Sterlings). If he is bankrupt, then you are one of his creditors, and you should probably file a claim, so when his business is liquidated, you will be in the line of creditors and you may get some of your money. (Don't hold your breath, though, the chances are slim.) I think normally, if there is no particular reason for altering the pecking order, creditors are paid in decreasing order of their claims, in other words, those that claim the most money get paid first. So, if this guy had larger deals that he defaulted on, those will be paid first.
If his business is registered in the UK, then it is probably a different ballgame, according to the laws there.

Anyway, enjoy your new dog - she is at least OK now. I think she got the best deal of all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shocking payment practices

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »