Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:59
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2008

For what it is worth: I just received notification from the State Department (Florida) that even though you may be a sole proprietor and receive payments in your own personal name, if you operate a website using a fictitious name (ex. Translation World, etc.), you must register that name with the State you live in (fictitious name registration) or you could be subject to a heavy fine or jail time. Your State laws may differ.

[Edited at 2008-07-31 12:23]

Direct link Reply with quote

RichardDeegan
Local time: 00:59
Spanish to English
Nothing new Jul 31, 2008

Sounds like the standard requirement to register DBAs (doing business as) that has been in effect in almost all states for a long time. The purpose is to relate a business name to a particular individual.
If you are doing business under a name other than your own, what's the harm?

Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Not fictitious Jul 31, 2008

I would not call it a fictitious name.
Like Richard says, it is a DBA (Doing Business As)
One of the benefits is being able to write off business expenses when you do your taxes.
Please, don't go to jail (where other inmates may find you a fictitious name).
Good luck,
Arturo

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Jul 31, 2008

Hi Jeff,

I live in FL too, but I haven't received any notification (at least not yet). I was totally unaware of this requirement, but since I'm setting up my own website this information is certainly useful. Thanks.

Regards from Jax (quite rainy today)

PS. Do you have any link where I can gather additional details on the matter?
_________

Thank you again Jeff for your prompt reply. 50 $ is not too bad.. it's the jail time that scared me!

[Edited at 2008-07-31 14:55]

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fictitious name or dba Jul 31, 2008

Don't panic. I did not receive a letter in the mail. I was the one who contacted the State Department and asked if this was required in my situation.

However, the cost is only $50 and this is good for five years.

Here is the application: http://form.sunbiz.org/fic_form.html
and these are the FAQ: https://efile.sunbiz.org/ficfaq.html

Fictitious name and dba are the same thing: http://www.amerilawyer.com/dba.htm

I knew this was required if you have a bank account and/or accept payments using a fictitious name, but I was not aware that you needed this merely if you have a website and I thought others may want to know this information.

According to what I have read (but please verify this on your own), you do not need it if your website/business includes your full name (ex. JohnSmithTranslations.com), but you do need it if you only use part of your name (Mary'sTranslations.com or JonesTranslations.com).

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I live in FL too, but I haven't received any notification (at least not yet). I was totally unaware of this requirement, but since I'm setting up my own website this information is certainly useful. Thanks.

Regards from Jax (quite rainy today)

PS. Do you have any link where I can gather additional details on the matter?

[Edited at 2008-07-31 14:54]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
No idea Jul 31, 2008

Thanks, Jeff. I had no idea. Florida is squeezing us like its famous oranges.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's not the web site that needs registering Jul 31, 2008

The issue, of course, is that the web site uses a fictitious name as its header/title. If the site simply used your name as the business name, I doubt you'd have to pay the registration fee.

Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same in Argentina Aug 1, 2008

No need to worry. The same happens in Argentina. To have a website you need clearance from the State Department and the cost is $50. Your server has to fix this for you.

Regards from Buenos Aires

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
ProZwiki started Aug 1, 2008

Great thread and topic - would you all consider adding to the ProZWiki on the subhject that I just created at http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/en:Doing_Business_As_-DBA

You must be logged in to edit. Please add to this article so all of your colleagues can benefit from your shared knowledge and experience.

Regards,

Drew MacFadyen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US translators with a website must register with the State

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs