Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2008

I just thought of an idea for advertising. My idea is to post a flyer--or business card---advertising my services.

I would post this at places like public libraries. What do you think?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
It's Cheap Aug 4, 2008

It's cheap, just the cost of a few copies. And who knows? Just one small job would more than pay for it all. But as I have suggested to you before, I would probably be more effective to target possible consumers by direct contact.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:14
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Targeted Aug 4, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

It would probably be more effective to target possible consumers by direct contact.

What do you perceive your target market as being - and where is it?

Check out the fora e.g. 'Selling your services' 'Getting established' etc.

HTH & good luck.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 19:14
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not cheap Aug 5, 2008

Email is much cheaper of course, and may be better targeted to people who actually need (big) translations. Users of public libraries will be private individuals who would perhaps need a birth certificate or other short document to be translated. Also, payment discipline is harder to track.

If you are professional in a niche market, target manufacturing companies in that market segment.

But I think the best overall strategy is to be active here on Proz.com, of course in
... See more
Email is much cheaper of course, and may be better targeted to people who actually need (big) translations. Users of public libraries will be private individuals who would perhaps need a birth certificate or other short document to be translated. Also, payment discipline is harder to track.

If you are professional in a niche market, target manufacturing companies in that market segment.

But I think the best overall strategy is to be active here on Proz.com, of course in a smart way. Answering KudoZ questions will improve your ranking in your language pair and subject area, so clients who actually need translators will find you easier.

There are dozens of ways on Proz.com to improve your exposure to potential clients.

When I started freelancing almost ten years ago, I used a variety of methods to reach out to potential clients. I placed an ad in the local yellow pages (no lead whatsoever), I sent out hundreds of emails to translation agencies (this landed me a couple of jobs), but by far the most efficient way of promotion was using the features that are available on Proz.com.

Csaba
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advertising Idea

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »