Thread poster: Eleftherios Kritikakis

Eleftherios Kritikakis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Greek to English
+ ...
Aug 5, 2008

To Translation Agencies (all of them):

In all industries, people use Reviews/Reports, sometimes by independent parties.

These Reviews/Reports follow the rules of reports, that is, they are documented in detail. Each and every change to the original design is analyzed and documented. That's how people in all other industries make Reports/Reviews. Whether you are a rocket enginner or a plumber or a lawyer, your Report/Review must be documented and properly supported.

In the translation industry, I have seen that such reviews/reports are not documented. Therefore, they cause confusion. I also understand that translators do not know the process of drawing a Report/Review. They just don't know. Sad, ah? Not to mention that malicious editors find that this is a good opportunity for them to "trash" the work of other people without having to explain... that even more sad.

I propose to all agencies to demand from their reviewers to document each and every change they make. Otherwise, the review is not professional (it's just another opinion).

This will reduce the cost of projects and will ensure that the reviewers are actually doing what they' re supposed to do in a professional manner. You pay the reviewer to actually document and explain each and every change, thus you avoid many other steps (more reviewers etc).

Thank you very much

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivana Friis Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:56
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Hear, hear Aug 6, 2008

(I am not an outsourcer, I hope it is okay that I express my opinion anyway - great idea!)

Eleftherios Kritikakis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Amazed Aug 6, 2008

Actually I'm amazed at the fact that almost all linguists pride themselves about being "professionals" in the industry but they do not know how to make a simple Reveiw/Report even at college level... same applies to the coordinators in the industry. It's as if they never went to high school or college (in high school and college, students are frequently asked to draw and submit reports, well documented reports).

In this industry, all practices that are common in every other industry, go out the window...

If the aviation industry followed the same practices, 1/3 airplanes would be faling from the sky on a daily basis.

The agencies are trying to implement very complicated and very costly procedures to ensure quality, while the solution was under their noses the whole time: Ask the editor to document (explain) each and every change they make.

[Edited at 2008-08-06 14:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On Professional Reports/Reviews

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs