Mobile menu

I just got an order of business cards....Now what?
Thread poster: Sara Senft

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 16, 2008

About two days ago, I recieved an order of business cards with my name, contact information, etc. I know the next step is to start distributing them. My question is: What can I do so that I don't come across as pushy? I did consider ideas like posting them on community boards at places like libraries. I'm open to any suggestions; I want to learn.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Start passing them out Aug 16, 2008

I suppose you can post them anywhere, but the most effective way is personally. There is nothing pushy about handing out your cards, whenever you meet someone or come across someone you already know, just hand them your card. Everyone does it.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Leave a bunch with people you are friends with Aug 16, 2008

One of the most often overlooked ways to get your name out in the open is leaving a bunch of business cards (maybe a dozen) with each person that is friends with you. Not with established clients, of course, but with family members, friends and people you know well enough to trust they will dispose of them correctly.

The idea isn't to ask them to hand them out. Simply ask them that if they mention you to someone who may be looking into getting some documents translated, they can tell them they know a translator who just happens to translate that kind of stuff. Then, they can hand them the business card.

Of course, you should also keep a bunch in your purse, in the car or in your wallet. It can never hurt to have them handy. I know how dumb I feel when I am facing a person who could need my services or who knows people who might need my services and I don't have my cards on me...

I don't think sticking them on community boards would project the right impression of you. Community boards are usually used either when someone needs help (it can also mean begging for something) or to offer help altruistically (children's clothes to give away, for example). Offering professional services, unless they target the general public (accountant offering to produce your income tax declaration), is not compatible with community boards in my opinion.

However, don't be shy and do visit companies who may need your services in person. See the receptionist, give her the elevator speech (30 seconds) and leave not one but two cards. Ask if you can see the person in charge fot buying professional services for just two minutes - then, you can leave a card with the appropriate contact, and the bonus is you will have a name and know the face that goes with it. You will also have a reason to call them or send them mail - "I met you last week...". If the receptionist seems receptive, you can take a few minutes to chat her up and add to the positive impression you are trying to make. Then, leave her not one but two cards - and tell her one is for her and the other is for the person who buys professional services in their company (Purchasing? Human resources? CEO? She'll probably tell you.). Make sure you tell her what to do with the cards - she will most likely do that.

[Edited at 2008-08-16 19:14]

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Business cards and getting known Aug 16, 2008

You might also leave some of your business cards at your local chambers of commerce and at professional association which promote international trade, travel and tourism.

Local associations of immigration lawyers are other high-value venues for some of your cards.

Good luck.

Hope this helps.

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic,
Kurdish, and Persian
San Pedro, California

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Be sure to carry some with you Aug 18, 2008

You might get into conversations in venues that you wouldn't generally think of having anything to do with translation. If you run into someone who shows an interest in your services, you can provide a card at that point.

Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Keep them handy Aug 18, 2008

I would advise that you always keep them handy. Carry a few in your purse, bag or whatever else you always carry around. It is always good to be able to pull one out if you need to. Whenever I bump into a friend I have not seen for a long time, the question of contact information inevitably comes up and I give them one of my business cards. It is also a lot easier than having to search for a pen and a piece of paper. Whenever I strike up conversations with people and the subject of occupation comes up, I explain what I do and hand over a business card. Wherever I am - doctor's office, airport, dentist, supermarket, gym, church - I have them handy. You just never know...

You can also opt to deliberately distribute them to the types of businesses in your area you think will need your services. Sometimes clients are in our very own backyards and we are unaware. Even though they may not call you right away, when the time comes they will know who to call. Like another colleague said, leave two cards. I always leave two cards. One will go on the notice board or on file and the other will go to someone who actually needs your services in the short term. I know for a fact that this happens.

In short though, become a master of marketing yourself and your services with or without your business cards. Depending on the type of activities you do in your spare time, you can think of a million other ways to do that. Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-08-18 20:31]

[Edited at 2008-08-18 20:31]

[Edited at 2008-08-18 20:32]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I just got an order of business cards....Now what?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs