https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/1130-multilingual_translators_sought.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Multilingual translators sought
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 17, 2002

Anyone capable of translating technical English documents into French, German and Spanish?

You have to master ALL 4 languages.

What happened to translating into one\'s own native language only?

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 10:11 PM

Subject: [Jobs-Trans] Forwarded job

> DRACS/SSC Consulting

> Mu
... See more
Anyone capable of translating technical English documents into French, German and Spanish?

What happened to translating into one\'s own native language only?

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 10:11 PM

Subject: [Jobs-Trans] Forwarded job

> DRACS/SSC Consulting

> Multilingual Translator/Writer

> Atlanta, Georgia

> Description:

> We are looking for a Multilingual (English, German, French, AND Spanish)

> Writer for a short-term project in Buckhead. Must exhibit verbal and

written

> fluency in all 4 languages. A minimum of 3 years documentation experience

is

> desired. Will be translating technical documents written in English to

> Spanish, German and French. Must be well versed with Microsoft Office

Suite.

> Pay rate is highly competitive.

>

> Desired Requirements:

> Verbal and written fluency in English, German, French and Spanish.

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------

--

> ----

>

> Posted by: Recruiter

> Industry: Consulting

> Function: Information Systems

> Job Term: Contract

> Desired Experience: At Least 3 Years

> Desired Education: None

> Travel: Negligible

>

> Date Posted: 01/16/02

Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think they will find one... Jan 17, 2002

...and if they do, they will have to pay one dollar a word.

BSD

Hang Nguyen-Padfield
Hang Nguyen-Padfield  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:00
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Jan 17, 2002

I have found that job on the net. Please contact the recruiter directly.

Sorry for the confusion.

Here is the contact information:

Email: [email protected]

Name: Beverly M. Simmons

Address: Atlanta, GA

Fax: (404)262-3994

Massimo Lencioni
Massimo Lencioni  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:00
English to Italian
+ ...
I'm sure the will find plenty of people Jan 17, 2002

...claiming to have the required skills.

Unfortunately not everyone is as modest (or simply realistic) as they should be.

Real bilingual people are rare, and I have yet to meet my first REAL trilingual colleague...Four languages at the level of a native speaker? Nah...
[addsig]

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
I thought the same when I saw that posting... Jan 17, 2002

and this was my favourite part:

Quote:

Compared to what? The common rate we see for a four-language-native-qualified-experienced translator (!)?.

I\'m sure they just don\'t want to hire four translators. After all it\'s just technical translations, right? And sometimes not even that, since they just need to be good writers, rig... See more
and this was my favourite part:

Quote:

Compared to what? The common rate we see for a four-language-native-qualified-experienced translator (!)?.

I\'m sure they just don\'t want to hire four translators. After all it\'s just technical translations, right? And sometimes not even that, since they just need to be good writers, right?

I am still half-way between a laughter and a tear...

Cheers,

Rossana ▲ Collapse

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Some people do not appreciate translators' job... Jan 17, 2002

No education is required?!

It sounds funny, isn\'t it?

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Online vs. the real world Jan 17, 2002

We have to keep in mind that there are tremendous differences between what goes on here (and other websites) and the jobs offered in the real world.

This kind of job offer is typical of what I\'d like to call an Internet mentality: just click somewhere, and as if by magic, the translation will appear.

This type of job would not normally be offered outside the Web. Flesh-and-blood clients are usually more discerning, even if all the transactions are done
... See more
We have to keep in mind that there are tremendous differences between what goes on here (and other websites) and the jobs offered in the real world.

This kind of job offer is typical of what I\'d like to call an Internet mentality: just click somewhere, and as if by magic, the translation will appear.

This type of job would not normally be offered outside the Web. Flesh-and-blood clients are usually more discerning, even if all the transactions are done over the phone. But as soon as these people sit down at their computers, something goes \"click\" (no pun intended).

After almost 15 years in the business, I have seen a lot of crazy requests, but nothing as daft as this one.

My only hope is that this agency has a good liability insurance, because they\'ll need it after \"Supercyberrobotranslator\" is finished with their translation project.

Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:00
Member (2004)
English to Italian
bilingual/trilingual people Jan 18, 2002

Lencioni & De Vries said:

\"Real bilingual people are rare, and I have yet to meet my first REAL trilingual colleague\".

I have yet to meet my first REAL bilingual colleague... who can speak and WRITE properly in both languages...

GG

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-18 09:35 ]

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Professional liability insurance Jan 18, 2002

Werner,

I hope they don\'t carry any. These people do not deserve to survive, commercially at least!
[addsig]

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Is it not obvious Jan 18, 2002

that the bright spark at DRACS/SSC Consulting who posted this job obviously got their job because the criteria was:

Desired Education: None

Who ever it was obviously has no knowledge or experience of foreign languages , otherwise they would have been too embarrassed to make such a posting.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-18 17:20 ]

Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2002

The requestor deserves everything s/he is asking for -- any prodigy-phenomenon answering this request is a person well-worth knowing about -- for whatever reason

Harold

On 2002-01-17 18:35, jazyk wrote:

German to English
+ ...
Yes, yes, and yes! Jan 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-18 09:34, guarnieri wrote:

\"Real bilingual people are rare, and I have yet to meet my first REAL trilingual colleague\".

I have yet to meet my first REAL bilingual colleague... who can speak and WRITE properly in both languages...

GG

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-18 09:34, guarnieri wrote:

GG

And even those that are bilingual have only one dominant language (a proven, scientific fact - there are tests to determine a person\'s dominant language). Your dominant language may change as a result of your personal circumstances (you move to another country, ...), but, yes, as a professional (and we all lay claim to being professional), you should translate only into your dominant language. ▲ Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Thanks, Werner... Jan 19, 2002

Sometimes, when I try and explain this to colleagues, I get astonished looks... what, are you mad? A dominant language? But they can speak so well in both! Yes, yes... my experience with translation done by so called bilingual people is very depressing. They are the worst! The language is kind of there, but not quite. Very often, these people are no good in both languages! This, obviously, implies a complete - and expensive - rewriting of the text. Maybe I\'ve been unlucky. And now I\'ll drop th... See more
Sometimes, when I try and explain this to colleagues, I get astonished looks... what, are you mad? A dominant language? But they can speak so well in both! Yes, yes... my experience with translation done by so called bilingual people is very depressing. They are the worst! The language is kind of there, but not quite. Very often, these people are no good in both languages! This, obviously, implies a complete - and expensive - rewriting of the text. Maybe I\'ve been unlucky. And now I\'ll drop the bomb (and I\'ll hide somewhere)... this is the exact reason why my children are not bilingual (their mother is English). I wanted them to have a first, very dominant language and be very fluent in the other, but not \"bilingual\". Come on, let\'s start the lynching now...

GG
Collapse

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
No lynching, just a question Jan 19, 2002

Hi, Giovanni.

No lynching here, at least not this time , but a question. How do you go about making your kids bilingual but not quite? Do they speak Italian at home and English at school? What do they read? I have two very young kids and we\'re about to move to Montreal (we\'re in Argentina), so I\'ve been wondering how to handle the three language issue. I know this is rather off-topic, so I may get some lynching myself ...
See more
Hi, Giovanni.

No lynching here, at least not this time , but a question. How do you go about making your kids bilingual but not quite? Do they speak Italian at home and English at school? What do they read? I have two very young kids and we\'re about to move to Montreal (we\'re in Argentina), so I\'ve been wondering how to handle the three language issue. I know this is rather off-topic, so I may get some lynching myself , but I\'ll appreciate any thoughts.

Andrea

Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
No flames from me Jan 19, 2002

My own children are being brought up with English as their dominant language (actually, none of them speak Spanish at all).

As for me, I\'m one of those dreaded fully-bilingual persons, I guess:

I was born in Mexico from Spanish parents, grew up in the United States, and as a pre-teen studied 5 years in a British school. In total, I have lived and worked 25 years in Mexico (I visit there often), and 20 years in the US (which I consider my home).
... See more
My own children are being brought up with English as their dominant language (actually, none of them speak Spanish at all).

As for me, I\'m one of those dreaded fully-bilingual persons, I guess:

I was born in Mexico from Spanish parents, grew up in the United States, and as a pre-teen studied 5 years in a British school. In total, I have lived and worked 25 years in Mexico (I visit there often), and 20 years in the US (which I consider my home).

So, IMNSHO, unless you can be truly immersed in two (or more) cultures and languages pretty much at the same time, I think it\'s better to just stick to the main one.

FWIW,
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multilingual translators sought

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »