Mobile menu

Waiting for a response about an urgent assignment....Now what?
Thread poster: Sara Senft

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2008

Today, I inquired about a project in my main languge pair (Spanish to English) and in one of my specialty areas. (General Law) For a period of time this afternoon, the PM was responding quickly. I wrote back to her about 45 minutes ago and I haven't heard back since then. I'm especially concerned because this project is due early tomorrow morning and the ad said to not call them.

Oh yeah......It's 16:50 where I am.

Added later:

I did hear back from the PM. For some weird reason, the message showed up in my inbox later than time stamped on the message.

[Edited at 2008-08-20 01:38]

Direct link Reply with quote
xxxXX789  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
No go is no go Aug 19, 2008

If you didn't get a specific go (a purchase order, an explicit mail telling you the job is a go), you should consider the job as a no-go.

Sometimes PMs assume you have started already while they have not given the go-ahead, but that really is not your problem.

You can bet that if you start while the job is a no-go, no one will pay you. Don't take that risk. First think of yourself, then think of the PM

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Member (2008)
French to English
agree but cover yourself Aug 19, 2008

I would send an email setting a time by which you need confirmation or you can't make the deadline. Remind the PM that you cannot start without confirmation. Make sure the time you set really works for you, so you don't have to be checking your email constantly, just check once at the deadline. Beyond the deadline, consider it a no go. Save your email in case of questions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Waiting for a response about an urgent assignment....Now what?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs