Thread poster: Soizic CiFuentes

Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:49
Member (2003)
English to French
Aug 21, 2008

Hello,

An agency from China seemed to have a problem paying in a lump sum. They say Paypal can only accept payment by $30 at a time and Paypal won't allow this procedure to be made the same day. For a wire, they are asking a copy of my signature. I am not sure why I should give a copy of my signature and what is the risk of doing that.
Did anyone experience this type of situation with China?
Thank you in advance for your time.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicolette Scholte  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
No problems up to now Aug 21, 2008

Hello,

I've worked for agencies in Hong Kong the past few years, but never had any problem getting paid by them though Paypal on the conditions that you mention.
The amounts send were up to $400 at a time, and no problems at all.

Now, I'm not sure if there is a very big difference between Hong Kong and the rest of China, I can understand that Paypal might do some careful screening for certain countries.

Regards,

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:49
English to Polish
Payment from China Aug 21, 2008

I get regular payments from Mainland China. It's true there are some limits in Paypal, but never heard of what your clients says. Normally I was getting payments without problems, once it was too much, so my client sent half and several minutes later the other half. I got it all. The amounts were several hundred USD each time.

Maybe it depends on a type of the account your and my clients have. But it surely IS possible to send X00 USD from China.

Anni

PS. FYI: My PP account is registered in Poland, not Hong Kong.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:49
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Do not give them your signature Aug 21, 2008

Soizic CiFuentes wrote:

Hello,

An agency from China seemed to have a problem paying in a lump sum. They say Paypal can only accept payment by $30 at a time and Paypal won't allow this procedure to be made the same day.

This seems a made-up story to me, especially in light of this:

For a wire, they are asking a copy of my signature. I am not sure why I should give a copy of my signature and what is the risk of doing that.

What is the risk?
Let's see: you give them all info about your bank account (for the wire, they say), which is your name, bank name, address, account number, routing number.
This information is the same for sending money to your account, and also for transferring money OUT OF IT. The only additional info required for taking money out of your account is your signature.
Do you want to give them that?

I would be very suspicious whether the "agency" is legit at all.

Jacques de Meulenaer
French to Chinese
+ ...
It sounds very strange. Watch out. Aug 22, 2008

Soizic CiFuentes wrote:

Hello,

An agency from China seemed to have a problem paying in a lump sum. They say Paypal can only accept payment by $30 at a time and Paypal won't allow this procedure to be made the same day. For a wire, they are asking a copy of my signature. I am not sure why I should give a copy of my signature and what is the risk of doing that.

Jacques de Meulenaer
French to Chinese
+ ...
Working with China is usually no problem Aug 22, 2008

Having problems like describe by Soizic are quite unusual. Soizic should either ask further about the client or the other party or drop this strange procedure. Never heard of conditions like that. I also work with China, and payments never got so complicated. Very smoothly indeed. It is either a hoax or a trap. Personally, I would not give my signature if not only to the bank I usually work with.

Best regards,

Jacques de Meulenaer

Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
May be their limit for the said period is 30$ Aug 22, 2008

Soizic CiFuentes wrote:

Hello,

May be their limit for the said period is 30$, So may be they don't want to be premium user etc. in order not to pay more for PayPal?

As for the signature; may be they mention your bank details or another information? Because sometimes Chinglish may refer very strange meanings

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment from China to US

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs