Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 22, 2008

Dear all,

I'm curious to know: how many of you work over the weekends on translator-unfriendly formats just for the sake of "helping out" and for minimum payment?

Personally, if I choose to work over the weekend I do it in order to earn enough money to have a good quality of life, and expect a rate that makes it worth my time to lose valuable quality-time with my loved ones... Perhaps I'm mistaken??

Really. I'm really, really curious to know.

A
... See more
Dear all,

I'm curious to know: how many of you work over the weekends on translator-unfriendly formats just for the sake of "helping out" and for minimum payment?

Personally, if I choose to work over the weekend I do it in order to earn enough money to have a good quality of life, and expect a rate that makes it worth my time to lose valuable quality-time with my loved ones... Perhaps I'm mistaken??

Really. I'm really, really curious to know.

Andrea (off for the weekend with NO work at lousy rates)
Collapse

Paula Tizzano Fernández
Paula Tizzano Fernández  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see you've seen the post... Aug 22, 2008

I imagine you post this message in connection to the job post a couple of hours ago.

I read it and got an ugly aftertaste.

I always work over the weekends because I like it, and particularly in connection with rewarding projects. But not like this--not worthy in terms of money either.

Best regards,

Paula

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:19
Spanish
+ ...
I was going to start a thread Aug 22, 2008

I also read it and my first reaction was to start a thread about that.

Mhh, 5000 words for $200, in 2 days, on a weekend!

So tempting

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Where's the problem? Aug 22, 2008

Half a day's work during a wet and wintry weekend (this side of the equator) for USD 200? Why not?

It's the weekend? - What difference does that make? Surely one of the perks of freelancing is the flexibility we have in our schedules.

I see the job's now closed. That's good - I'm sure some poor soul, somewhere out there in the global jungle, will be happy to get 200 bucks in 7 day's time, as per the poster's proposed p
... See more
Half a day's work during a wet and wintry weekend (this side of the equator) for USD 200? Why not?

It's the weekend? - What difference does that make? Surely one of the perks of freelancing is the flexibility we have in our schedules.

I see the job's now closed. That's good - I'm sure some poor soul, somewhere out there in the global jungle, will be happy to get 200 bucks in 7 day's time, as per the poster's proposed payment terms.

And let's not forget that even here in Chile - widely recognised (until last week, that is...) as one of Latin America's leading economies - USD 200 is the equivalent of about 15 days minimum wage. That would come in handy just now - with the Fiestas Pátrias coming up!

Hmmm.... I must watch the job offers more closely - there's money to be made here!

MediaMatrix
Collapse

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 14:19
Spanish to English
LOL Aug 23, 2008

I just took a look at that job after this thread started....and it's in Excel? Payment in Play Money?
I think I'll sit back this weekend and enjoy the rewards of not having Trados.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
I Love working weekends Aug 23, 2008

Why not? On the weekend less people are bothering me, I can concentrate more, be more productive. After all, I am not tied to the clock or the calendar. I can kick back any day of the week, and I do.

Crappy, low-paid work I do not enjoy doing at any time.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
For Weekenders Aug 23, 2008

I just saw a job posted, it appears to be very specialized technical material and they are asking for very specialized qualifications.

It is almost 15,000 words. Source text to be sent Fri., Aug. 29, due Monday, Sept. 1.

When are people going to get real?

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Getting real Aug 23, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:
When are people going to get real?

When they consistently can't get anyone to do these jobs... which I hope means now.

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
Local time: 21:19
English to German
+ ...
Work on weekends - if I chose to Aug 23, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

...After all, I am not tied to the clock or the calendar. I can kick back any day of the week, and I do.

Crappy, low-paid work I do not enjoy doing at any time.

I agree that choosing the time you work is one of the perks of being a freelancer.

But if a client sends a text on Friday night and wants the translation back on Monday morning this choice is taken from me. The client expects that I work during what normally would be considered non-working time.

If a job can be done in the given time and does not interfere with any plans I have, I accept it - and add a surcharge to the price.

Edith found some typos

[Edited at 2008-08-23 16:31]

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like the sincerity of the posting Aug 23, 2008

It doesn't say "you'll make a fortune on this", or "this job will change your life". The wording is quite clear...you can help someone out, if you don't have other weekend plans.

I didn't reply to the posting but I would have considered:

1)What is the outsourcer's BB rating? (in this case, very good);
2)How soon will they pay? (very soon);
3)Do I want to try working for a new agency/outsourcer or, do I want to work for this agency again? Maybe it's in
... See more
It doesn't say "you'll make a fortune on this", or "this job will change your life". The wording is quite clear...you can help someone out, if you don't have other weekend plans.

I didn't reply to the posting but I would have considered:

1)What is the outsourcer's BB rating? (in this case, very good);
2)How soon will they pay? (very soon);
3)Do I want to try working for a new agency/outsourcer or, do I want to work for this agency again? Maybe it's in someone's interest to help out this time and in doing so establish an interesting relationship for the future.

I get mad when the job poster offers unacceptable conditions with wording that makes it sound like they're quite normal. That's not the case here.

Enjoy the weekend,

Lucía
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Different strokes for different folk, Aug 23, 2008

as the saying goes.

Lucia Colombino wrote:

I find the set rate low to begin with. That hardly bothers me anymore, I see plenty of that.

The fact that the set rate is even lower for weekend work hardly bothers me either; I also see plenty of that.

The fact that the set rate is low, even lower for weekend work, and lower still considering the format bothers me just a little. I also see enough of that to let it get to me by now.

But the wording that you liked so much made me shiver all over.

If I'm going to "help [someone] out", specially over the weekend, it will be someone who really needs it for a good cause, and not a company that will get their pockets full of money by making a 300% profit on my work. Otherwise, I do not wish to "help out", I wish to WORK, and be paid accordingly.

I do not find the wording sincere at all.

Greetings

[Edited at 2008-08-23 13:21]

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I received an "helping out" offer too Aug 23, 2008

Here's the offer I received on Thursday evening:
Are you willing to help out translating the famous Randy Pausch's speech ("Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams") for one of our VIP clients?
12,000 words due on Monday.
And, needless to say, "we are on a tight budget..."
With all due respect for Randy Pausch, I was quite pissed off...

Laura

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Weekends - again Aug 23, 2008

I do work on weekends, but not because I am desperate. My household has a setup that allows me to do it and that makes it more practical.

However, let's not forget that those among us who have partners working "normal" jobs, kids, etc., can't really unwind before the weekend. Everybody needs to unwind, especially freelancers. So, in a way, the weekend is sacred to most people.

In that sense, I do believe that a job that absolutely needs to get done over the weekend shou
... See more
I do work on weekends, but not because I am desperate. My household has a setup that allows me to do it and that makes it more practical.

However, let's not forget that those among us who have partners working "normal" jobs, kids, etc., can't really unwind before the weekend. Everybody needs to unwind, especially freelancers. So, in a way, the weekend is sacred to most people.

In that sense, I do believe that a job that absolutely needs to get done over the weekend should be paid as overtime work.

However, besides the weekend issue, there is also the fact that the rate for this job is already set, which means take it or leave it. The outsourcer has already decided how much your time is worth - it doesn't matter to them how much your time is worth to you. I find that a little too demanding, to say the least...

[Edited at 2008-08-24 02:37]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
quick Aug 24, 2008

Half a day's work

10000 words a day? That'd be pretty intense.

Birthe Omark
Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
It's OK to work weekends - if it is your own choice. Aug 24, 2008

I often work at weekends, and as I write I am getting ready to give it a go.
The good thinng is, that there are no disturbances, you chose your own 'interruptions' and you have the chance to catch up on lost time from the week, having taken on more than planned or choosing to give it an extra bash in to increase your average...
These are the beauties of working over the weekends.

If a job is requested to be done over the weekend, it's a different story. And then the ou
... See more
I often work at weekends, and as I write I am getting ready to give it a go.
The good thinng is, that there are no disturbances, you chose your own 'interruptions' and you have the chance to catch up on lost time from the week, having taken on more than planned or choosing to give it an extra bash in to increase your average...
These are the beauties of working over the weekends.

If a job is requested to be done over the weekend, it's a different story. And then the outsourscers should have the decensy to respect the time of the freelancer as much as their own employees - and pay the prime they are bound to pay by most contries' employment laws.

Wishing you all a nice Sunday .. with the activities of your choice!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Helping out over the weekends...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »