Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Local time: 17:33
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2008

Do you know new sources of translation work? Do you want to share your knowledge/suggestions?
Here are some ideas I have about new sources of translation work.

-Basically today any corner shop/small business/specializing business is interested in having an Internet presence and selling products worldwide. They all need good translations of their contents if they want to show seriousness.

-Translation of blogs

-Translation of news

-Transla
... See more
Do you know new sources of translation work? Do you want to share your knowledge/suggestions?
Here are some ideas I have about new sources of translation work.

-Basically today any corner shop/small business/specializing business is interested in having an Internet presence and selling products worldwide. They all need good translations of their contents if they want to show seriousness.

-Translation of blogs

-Translation of news

-Translation for new international organizations

-Translation of call for tenders worldwide

-New energies

-Old industries with new products (example John Deere wind energy)

-New producers with old products (example Indian and Chinese car producers)

The available translators, specially the good ones, will not be able to cope with this gigantic need. The sooner we have a global TM the better.

Do you know more new sources of translation work?
Collapse

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 17:33
Dutch to English
Wouldn't they find a translator if they needed one? Aug 27, 2008

I agree with some of your suggestions of sources for new work, but I wonder how many businesses would give you translation work simply because you offer them your services? If I owned a company and needed a translator, I would find one. I wouldn't give work to someone who tells me they can translate documents for me, but that's just me. As for a worldwide TM: why would anyone contribute to that? I'm being serious. Part of being a translator, for me anyway, is the constant learning involved. Such... See more
I agree with some of your suggestions of sources for new work, but I wonder how many businesses would give you translation work simply because you offer them your services? If I owned a company and needed a translator, I would find one. I wouldn't give work to someone who tells me they can translate documents for me, but that's just me. As for a worldwide TM: why would anyone contribute to that? I'm being serious. Part of being a translator, for me anyway, is the constant learning involved. Such a TM would practically alleviate the need for translators if it became large enough and anyone could call themself a translator just because they have access to such a TM. Called me old fashioned, but I started translating before the Internet reared its amazing head, and have spent many an hour with dictionaries all around me trying to find the right word. Translators who have always had Internet access, and know how to use it, have it much easier, in my opinion. Sorry if I rambled. I'm on a tight deadline. LOL

[Edited at 2008-08-27 16:53]
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 11:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes ... and no. Aug 27, 2008

Felipe Gútiez asked:
Do you know new sources of translation work?

Yes, thanks.

Felipe Gútiez wrote:
Do you want to share your knowledge/suggestions?

Wot!? - You gotta be jokin'!

Felipe Gútiez repeated his first question:
Do you know more new sources of translation work?

And the answer's still the same: Yes, thanks - but no thanks.

MediaMatrix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New sources of translation work

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »