Mobile menu

Company's fault?
Thread poster: Evgeny G
Evgeny G
Russian Federation
Russian to English
Aug 31, 2008

About a month ago a company was looking for a translator here at proz. I was curious to try. An American company working in Russia sent me a text for sample translation, I did it, they approved. Then a telephone interview took place and they seemed happy. Then folowed a month of e-mail exchanges waiting for the "final telephone interview with their client who actually needed the translator". And finally, silence.
Now with all that trouble with the testing, the sample work (wich was not rejected) and several mornings spoiled waiting by the phone and also I had to notify my current emplyee I might quit (to give them more time to find a substitute) do you think I am subject to any compensation? Any known rules, laws or precedent? There may be something either in Russian or in American legislation? I think any of the two might apply to an American company in the RF?

Direct link Reply with quote

Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:22
English to Spanish
Interviews and tests are not legally binding... Sep 1, 2008

or at least, I have never ever read or heard of such a case.

If neither you nor the agency or the end client signed a contract stating the nature of your professional relationship, then, there is nothing to hold on to.

To be honest, I think you shouldn´t have dropped your former job based on just a test and some interviews. It sounds to me you tried to be too fair to your former employer by allowing them plenty of time to find a replacement. What does your current contract say about leaving the company?. How much notice do you have to give them?. All these are questions you should bear in mind whenever you´re looking for another job in the future. That way you won´t miscalculate the time you have in between jobs.

Best of luck

xxxPeter Manda
Local time: 16:22
German to English
+ ...
Reliance Sep 1, 2008

In America, generally, you are stuck with the at will doctrine. That means that unless you rely on someone's statements regarding employment and that someone is aware of the reliance and the detriment you are undergoing (changing your job status, etc.) you generally have no resort for compensation.

Did you tell this person what the situation was? Did you inform them of the potential loss to you? Did you inform them that you had given notice at work?

You may find it worthwhile to communicate with a lawyer regardless. It may be an odd circumstance where you were set up by a fellow employee or by someone who wanted you to leave your job who knew of your interest in translation or who otherwise wanted to harm you. How much the lawyer would charge you for filing a claim or looking into it, I don't know. And finding a lawyer who doesn't write you off, that will also take some doing. Personally, I think it's worth your while to look into.

Good luck!

Evgeny G
Russian Federation
Russian to English
I will survive;) Sep 7, 2008

Thank you both; It is OK with the current job because I did not quite and they will be just too happy to have me back. If it was a practical joke I think it would have been worth trying to play to the end, that is make me arrive at that "would be working place" which is about 10,000km away from my home )) I rather think they have either hired someone else (but then why not tell me directly?) or this may be linked to that recent tension between Russia and the US and they are apprehensive of signing new contracts before the situation is clear. I didnt lose much anyway; just was curious if someone has experienced this, too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Company's fault?

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs