Where to turn to if you do not get paid?
Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:22
Flemish to English
+ ...
May 30, 2003

Today, I would like to put together a list of institutions to which a translator can turn to if payment does not come.
I would be greatful if you could inform me to which institution (court, chamber of commerce... with their data)in the following countries I have to turn to in case of non-payment?
County List:
• Austria,
• Belgium
• Canada,
• Danemark
• France,
• Germany,
• Holland,
• Ireland,
• Japan
... See more
Today, I would like to put together a list of institutions to which a translator can turn to if payment does not come.
I would be greatful if you could inform me to which institution (court, chamber of commerce... with their data)in the following countries I have to turn to in case of non-payment?
County List:
• Austria,
• Belgium
• Canada,
• Danemark
• France,
• Germany,
• Holland,
• Ireland,
• Japan
• Finland
• Luxemburg
• Norway
• Sweden
• Switzerland
• UK.
• USA
Collapse

Giovanna Graziani
Giovanna Graziani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:22
German to Italian
+ ...
Great idea! May 30, 2003

And what about Italy?

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
France May 30, 2003

Hi,
Good idea indeed.

For France, see:
http://www.proz.com/topic/10262

Regards,
Sylvain.

Achim Reyher
Achim Reyher  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
And Spain? May 30, 2003

And what about Spain, where (unfortunately) the (non-)payment issue is a daily topic for many translators? I would be very interested to know where to turn to... as in my case, I have suffered from non-payment or payment delay (more than a year's delay) on various occasions.
Furthermore, I would like to know why in Spain translators don't usually work on an advance payment-basis, as they do quite often in the US, for example. Anybody knows?
Salu2
Achim

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Experiences.... May 30, 2003

I did not ask about Italy and Spain because the rates of these markets are too low (0.03 euro-0.07 euro/word) for a technical text) and the payment-practices of these markets are "not too brilliant" (own experience)
Unless the payment-mentality and the rates change, I am not interested in working for these markets.
That does not mean I do not like the Italian or Spanish people or the respective languages.
But this information for it might be useful for translators working fo
... See more
I did not ask about Italy and Spain because the rates of these markets are too low (0.03 euro-0.07 euro/word) for a technical text) and the payment-practices of these markets are "not too brilliant" (own experience)
Unless the payment-mentality and the rates change, I am not interested in working for these markets.
That does not mean I do not like the Italian or Spanish people or the respective languages.
But this information for it might be useful for translators working for these markets.
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:22
Dutch to English
+ ...
Payment in advance for work May 30, 2003

Dear Achim,

I always feel that this is a difficult issue at times sticky issue. I have adopted the following for years now: if it is a project of lets say 10 pages I ask for a down-payment. If it is a book (large, long-term project), I ask to split the amount to be paid in two or three parts, the first part very much at the beginning of the project, the second at the middle and the last towards the end of the project.

For larger documents, I always prepare a contra
... See more
Dear Achim,

I always feel that this is a difficult issue at times sticky issue. I have adopted the following for years now: if it is a project of lets say 10 pages I ask for a down-payment. If it is a book (large, long-term project), I ask to split the amount to be paid in two or three parts, the first part very much at the beginning of the project, the second at the middle and the last towards the end of the project.

For larger documents, I always prepare a contract to be signed by me and the client. I know, I should do it for all projects. I have up to now been lucky but I do avoid working for certain markets and I just have some folks pay ahead. I feel bad doing this, but experience has taught me good lessons in the past.

And I definitely check the Blue Board before starting a larger project with a new client.
That is why regular clients we have established a pleasant working relation with are such a blessing. Thank you all!

I hope that this anwers your question.
Lucinda.

Salu2
Achim[/quote]

[Edited at 2003-05-30 09:08]

[Edited at 2003-05-30 09:09]
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A short translation? May 30, 2003

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Hi,
Good idea indeed.

For France, see:
http://www.proz.com/topic/10262

Regards,
Sylvain.

Thanks indeed for this link, but I'd appreciate a short translation since my French is not good enough to understand all the details.

TIA,

Sonja

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:22
English to German
+ ...
Germany May 30, 2003

For Germany you can start at:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=43013#43013

or search the forums for "Mahnbescheid"

Maria-Jose Pastor
Maria-Jose Pastor
Local time: 22:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
In the USA May 30, 2003

In the USA you can try the Dept. of Labor, as long as you can show that either the agency or client were the ones that established the pay rate, due date, terms and conditions of the job thay may beable to help. I myself resorted to them on one occassion, and with the documentation I provided them I was eventually paid by the agency.

The trick here is that if they deem you were a freelancer they will not get involved, that is why it is important to show the agency/client was the on
... See more
In the USA you can try the Dept. of Labor, as long as you can show that either the agency or client were the ones that established the pay rate, due date, terms and conditions of the job thay may beable to help. I myself resorted to them on one occassion, and with the documentation I provided them I was eventually paid by the agency.

The trick here is that if they deem you were a freelancer they will not get involved, that is why it is important to show the agency/client was the one who set the terms and conditions for the job -

Hope this has been helpful.
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Pardon my French... May 30, 2003

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Thanks indeed for this link, but I'd appreciate a short translation since my French is not good enough to understand all the details.

... but my English is quite poor...

So, after you sent a letter by recorded delivery (and get no answer...) you have to write to the Greffe du Tribunal de Commerce of the town where the agency is (relevant adress can be found at http://www.greffes.com/) and ask for a "requête en injonction de payer", with all invoices etc. provided and a check of EUR 23,19.
The Tribunal then sends you an "Injonction de payer", and you have to find an "huissier de justice" near the agency, who will send it to them. The agency then has one month to pay you.

A bit confusing, but I hope it helps. And if there is someone else to translate it into a better English... you're welcome

Regards,
Sylvain.

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sweden - kronofogden May 30, 2003

See http://www.rsv.se/kronofogden/

Hope you'll never need them!

Sven.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 22:22
SITE STAFF
Great idea--please consider making it a howto May 31, 2003

Williamson,

This is an excellent idea. Would you consider making a Howto out of it once you have compiled your results?

Regards,

jg

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Need a bit more info. May 31, 2003

Jason Grimes wrote:

Williamson,

This is an excellent idea. Would you consider making a Howto out of it once you have compiled your results?

Regards,

jg

I'll do that, but then I need also answers from other countries than the one's I am interested in: Canada, the 25 EU-Member-States (see europe.eu.int)(New-Members :Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovenia, and Slovakia) and translators in other parts of the world: South-America,Eurasia, Africa.
Would an "how to with regard to payment regulations such as http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=en&numdoc=32000L0035&model=guichett" also be useful. Curious to find out what regulations are valid in other parts of the world.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to turn to if you do not get paid?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »