Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
English to Slovak
+ ...
Sep 19, 2008

Hi all,

I asked for permission to translate revision material for Health and Safety test. I've received reply today saying that I can translate it to help candidates to revise, but the company (one who owns the copyright of the original) will not publish it. Does it mean that if I do it, I will own the copyright of Slovak translation?

Rad

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:55
English to Chinese
+ ...
depends on the agreement you've reached. Sep 20, 2008

I translate for People's Daily online and most of my translations are published online. I have never seen my name accompanying those articles.

I guess I can forfeit my copyright for a better payment rate.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ask for right to distribute Sep 20, 2008

Rad Graban wrote:
I asked for permission to translate revision material for Health and Safety test. I've received reply today saying that I can translate it to help candidates to revise, but the company (one who owns the copyright of the original) will not publish it.

They may have misunderstood your intentions. Did you plan on distributing the translations yourself? Did you plan to sell copies of your translation, or even get a publisher in Slovakia (or in the UK) to publish and sell it? Do you know offhand how many copies you intend to sell/distribute?

What you should do, is ask for the right to publisher and/or distribute your translation without paying them any royalties (or, paying them royalties, if that is what they want). It may be a good idea to limit the number of copies you're going to publish (to, say, 500, 1000, or 5000) -- this gives them the option of publishing the translation themselves, for their own profit, if they see that there is a market for it, but it allows you to sell it for your profit for a period of time.

Don't place all your cards on the table at once... first just ask for permission to distribute (and mention how you plan to distribute it and if you're going to distribute it for free or a fee).

Does it mean that if I do it, I will own the copyright of Slovak translation?

Depends on the country, but in my country you own copyright of the translation regardless of whether have had the copyright holder's permission to translate it. But copyright isn't the issue here -- it is distribution rights, if I understand correctly.

[Edited at 2008-09-20 05:34]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyright again

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »